Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a quick question...

I recently picked up a 2012 C250 4Matic

love the car but the only problem is that it doesn't have projector headlamps. i do have the LED daytime lights. there is a massive colour difference between the headlight and the led's (MB doesn't offer the lightening pkg in canada)

i was wondering if its worth switching the headlight bulbs to:

PIAA H7 Xtreme White Plus 4000K
or
Sylvania Silverstar Halogen Headlight Bulb

not sure what temp the OEM's run on

any advice?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I replaced my headlight bulbs with Philips Crystal Vision Ultra and I like it a lot better than the OEM bulbs. I haven't tried the PIAA Xtreme White so I can't comment on this and the Sylvania Silvertar is not much better than the OEM. Try the Philips Crystal Vision Ultra and you're gonna like them. The OEMs are 3400K and the Crystal Vision Ultras are 4000K. The attached photo shows you the difference between the OEM (passenger side) and the Crystal Vision (driver side).

Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just installed the crystal vision ultras in my white 2012 C300 too :D
They are a very nice upgrade - any whiter and you will lose light output, so they really are as good as it gets with halogens.

I think it is important to point out that the front marker lights (aka City lights - W5W Wedge bulbs) are the biggest culprit. They have a very nasty yellow light output. Replace them with the AZN Optics 5000k wedge bulbs - they are a PERFECT match to the factory LED DRL Strips. I think Mercedes chose these ugly yellow bulbs to push people into buying the lighting package. Or maybe just because they have under-driven filaments for good longitivtiy. Who knows.

Question for you - what country are you in that has the C250 with 4Matic? What size (displacement) is your engine? Turbocharged?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed the crystal vision ultras in my white 2012 C300 too :D
They are a very nice upgrade - any whiter and you will lose light output, so they really are as good as it gets with halogens.

I think it is important to point out that the front marker lights (aka City lights - W5W Wedge bulbs) are the biggest culprit. They have a very nasty yellow light output. Replace them with the AZN Optics 5000k wedge bulbs - they are a PERFECT match to the factory LED DRL Strips. I think Mercedes chose these ugly yellow bulbs to push people into buying the lighting package. Or maybe just because they have under-driven filaments for good longitivtiy. Who knows.

Question for you - what country are you in that has the C250 with 4Matic? What size (displacement) is your engine? Turbocharged?

thanks for the reply

i am in Canada
here the C250 RWD comes with the new 1.8 turbo but i opted for the 4Matic so had go for the 2.5L V6

sucks MB canada doesn't offer a lighting package

·
Registered
3 Posts
i put 8k HIDs in mine, its too bad we cant projectors.... my little DRLs are running a blue bulb 194B which you can get at any parts store. and hi beams are running syvania super blues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the Syalvania Silver Stars, a tillte bit of improvement at 4000K but honestly I thought it was going to be better. I regret I didn't try the Philips, they seem to be better but have to order on the web. As to the Park Lights w5w I want to get the phillips. I am hesitant of getting the LED because I have read about error messages that cannot be cleared that easily. In Canada they don't offer Lightying package, but in the US they don't offer 4matic on the C250s. No one gets the perfect package!!!:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I installed one Philips H7 X-treme Power. Compared to the other factory bulb. I can't tell any difference.

From the picture with Philips Crystal Vision Ultra, I think I will give it a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer told me if I take European delivery, I could basically order any combination I wanted, not just the listed options and packages.
This appears to be true because the manual for US is loaded with goodies not offered here, like cooling seats etc. I wish we had shifter paddles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've tried PIAA, sylvania, Osram...you will never be able to match your LEDs. Unless you do an HID conversion. The LED runs around 5000-6000 kelvin color temp and stock halogens run around 3000-3800 kelvin. So instead of wasting 50 bucks a pair for halogens, just do a HID conversion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've tried PIAA, sylvania, Osram...you will never be able to match your LEDs. Unless you do an HID conversion. The LED runs around 5000-6000 kelvin color temp and stock halogens run around 3000-3800 kelvin. So instead of wasting 50 bucks a pair for halogens, just do a HID conversion.
Which HID conversion kit is the most reliable?
I have a 2011 c180 with projectors for the halogens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've installed a 6000k kit on a Hyundai from xenonsupply.com. And it matches LEDs alot better. If you want good lighting on the road tho, you would be better off with a 4300k or 5000k

·
Registered
2 Posts
re

I am interested in changing the light bulbs on my '12 C250 but I don't trust myself doing it. Anyone know a reputable place in the Toronto area?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I purchased by HIDs from theretrofitsource.com and they're extremely high quality.

Massiveappeal, it is very unlikely that you'd run into any problems by changing light bulbs. Just make sure you don't touch the glass of the bulb because oils from your hand can cause it to burn hotter, which will reduce the life of the bulb. With a firm grip, gently twist the bulb to loosen it and change it out, then do the reverse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They don't throw errors unless you swap it out with HIDs or halogens with lower wattage than stock which I believe is 35w. HID kits usually come with or sold seperately the error free ballast.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1,249 Posts
Do not put in HID kit if your car has reflector headlamps, it needs projector light assembly to give the right look and light beam control.

The normal halogen for low beam is 55W and a HID kit is 35W unless you opt for a 55W, but a 35W HID gives you roughly 3 times the light output than a halogen, so no need for 55W unless you drive in the bush or desert...

When you see a reflector headlamp with HID kit it just looks ricer and redneck... This is not a $15K Hyundai, Toyota etc...

At least that is my 0.02

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use Philips DiamondVision 5000K on both low & hi which matches the DRL's perfectly, and AZN Optics LED for the parking bulbs. Looks beautiful, seriously..

·
Registered
327 Posts
My dealer told me if I take European delivery, I could basically order any combination I wanted, not just the listed options and packages.
I think your salesman is blowing smoke because the MBUSA ordering system can only order US equipment since the car will be a US model. Make him prove it because if he can, this is a first time thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts