Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
C 230 2008 7 Speed, Silver
379 Posts
2012 seems a long way off to accurately predict anything. But, I would not like to lose the safety of the sandwich design unless MB replace it with something even safer.
The VW Golf / Rabbit TDI is starting to look a lot like my next car - unless battery technology improves to make a diesel - electric, plug-in hybrid viable by 2012, or sooner.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Hmm, I don't plan to buy another car for a decade or more....unless smart brings the fortwo BRABUS over here, then all bets are off.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
They probably won't begin design work on this car for at least a year. They don't even know what platform it's going to be built on yet (FIAT, Renault??).

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
In the first picture in the link the design looks slightly Audi-ish.
Have heard in the UK that they may well lose the floor sandwich part of the design partly in order to lower the C of G (and probably cost has got a lot to do with it). Sounds like a good safety issue is being discarded here.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,162 Posts
Hmm, I don't plan to buy another car for a decade or more....unless smart brings the fortwo BRABUS over here, then all bets are off.
I'm with Mike on this one. The present B works wonderfully for me.
If the mechanicals don't act up, I plan to keep it forever.:thumbsup:

Considering the present success of the A and B shape and the flexibility it offers; why offer another sedan shape and call it the new B class?

The Vibe, Matrix and Mazda 5 have a similar shape and are popular because of their capacity to carry a lot in a small size.
The B class has a rightful place in the market as an upscale little carrier with added safety compared to the others. Why dramatically change such a good thing? :confused:

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes-Benz B200 Turbo
7 Posts
Looks better than the old version...but still a b-class
I prefer the W245's shape over the W246's. The new one appears longer and lower, but somehow loses a bit of the W245's uniqueness. LED running lights are nice touches.

However, the main advantages of the new MFA platform are lower production costs and versatility in spawning multiple body styles. Mercedes can finally make sporty sedans and coupes to attract younger buyers, while those who prefer the elevated driving position of the present B-Class can opt for the BLK/GLC SUV:

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Finally, a Renault Scénic instead of a B Class, in North America :D

·
Registered
2007 B200 (traded), 2013 Veloster, 2009 Escape
261 Posts
Not loving any of the new concepts. The "BLK" looks like a Kuga/CRV/Juke/Tuscon/Sportage/Equinox/X3....you name it. The same as all the others. Part of the appeal of the current W245 is that it is different. You do not mistake it for anything else on the road...well....maybe a MB GLseries from a distance...but generally nothing else.

I saw a Tuscon on the road the other day....then as I got closer, it looked like the Sportage....then I realized it was the new Nissan Juke. Please don't make the B like that....

Nonetheless, I keep saying that I really don't like the B, and it still holds true. It is an OK car, with decent features, and bought used, for a reasonable price...but I would have a Golf GTI 5 door over it any day and put the money I saved into something else. We have it because my wife likes it, but I think it will disappear the second the Fiat 500 Abarth shows up in Canada.

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes-Benz B200 Turbo
7 Posts
Not loving any of the new concepts. The "BLK" looks like a Kuga/CRV/Juke/Tuscon/Sportage/Equinox/X3....you name it. The same as all the others. Part of the appeal of the current W245 is that it is different. You do not mistake it for anything else on the road...well....maybe a MB GLseries from a distance...but generally nothing else.
To be fair, most of the BLK/GLC pictures we see on the Internet are just renderings based on artist impressions. Here's more:

We don't know yet how the final product looks like at this stage.

But from spyshots of the new W246 B-Class, it's safe to say that the W245's mini MPV shape is retained. The new A-Class will likely be a complete departure from the current version, as MB will need a sporty hatch to compete against the BMW X1 and Audi A3.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
The above pics show that the new B will attempt to be sexier,.. but also lower if measuring the rear interior height dimensions.
That would make it very difficult to load bikes inside as we do with our present B. It's a no go for me.........because of that lowering.

It's interesting that the next generation B Class will still not be introduced into the US market. You'd have thought that MB would have wanted a piece of this lucrative niche market. It just keeps growing as newer models are in there,...like the new Mini Countryman.

Attachments

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
I can't put my bicycles in the B upright, not even close, even with both wheels off! Neither the Cervélo nor the Raleigh Super Course....

·
Registered
2006 B200T
929 Posts
Really Mike? All you really have to do is remove the front wheel and lower the seat. What if you lower the deck lid in the boot, and remove the cargo cover and put the bike on an angle. You should be able to fit 2 bikes in side by side. oh, and with the rear seats down of course.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
I don't carry my torque wrenches with me for the Cervélo (CF frame) so lowering the seat is not on. It lays down flat OK. I am entering a 160 km GranFondo this summer with a friend and we will use the B to get there, I wish they would stand up w/o requiring so much work!

·
Registered
2006 B200T
929 Posts
Will lying a bike down (especially 2 of them, one atop the other) ruin the truing of the wheels? Why not try the roof rack and bike attachment? Then you've got plenty of interior space for other things.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
The bikes will be on each other with blankets in between and all 4 wheels will be standing up separately inside the car. No problem, just not stylish!

·
Registered
2008 B200T (W245)
316 Posts
Some new pictures here: 2012 Mercedes B-Class prototype

can really see the lines in the doors in these. The front's length still makes it look too much like a minivan and too little like a hatch (like the current one), if you ask me. Will see what it looks like once all camo is off, I guess.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Why not try the roof rack and bike attachment? Then you've got plenty of interior space for other things.
We install our bikes(road or mountain) on the interior to keep the elements off of them and for security when stopped. Installing the bikes on the top can be a PITA because of the reach needed when doing the frame attach.
We have a ton of room left over for the camping gear and/or luggage. It takes a few seconds to install each bike with the "quick disconnects" that I installed for the fork lock-downs.

My systems will take a tight racing frame for a person up to 6' tall without dropping the seat, but above that height(like Mike), you then have to lower the seat. The front wheels pack on the drivers side and since the chains are also on that side it leaves great space to store the gear without the lubed chains touching anything.

It works for us and then the kayaks also fit very nicely on top with room for all of the extra gear(paddles and life-jackets etc.) Our newer kayaks are much longer that these yellow bananas but fit just as well,...this B Class is very versatile compared to the other similar cars in this niche class of vehicle.

I don't think that the new B will will have the interior height necessary to do it all as our present B does and that's a shame for some of us.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts