Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to retrofit 2011 tail lights to my 09 R. I love the look and the red LED stripes... I wonder if it is just pug and play and if the shape is exactly the same??? Any ideas?

1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,267 Posts
I'd love to retrofit 2011 tail lights to my 09 R. I love the look and the red LED stripes... I wonder if it is just pug and play and if the shape is exactly the same??? Any ideas?
Been thinking the same, who will give it a try, I'm sure it will need STAR programming to accept the different current draw or resistance.

Shape looks to be the same, but there could be a small difference and then it will require some rebuilding, many people haev doen that on Audi and VW cars so that can be done.

· Registered
108 Posts
Same here! It would be really nice to have those LED turning signals. OEM retrofit may require the old rear SAM to be replaced. If my memory serves me right, I've read a retrofit of 2010 rear lights on an early model W221 needing to have rear SAM replaced + coded with codes only found on certain time-period built cars; bare in mind W221 has LED lights as standard equipment.

I really hope this won't be the case, and a straight PnP is all it takes.

Does the new taillight assembly have built in rear fog lights?

· Registered
1 Posts
2011 led tail lights

Hi guys,

I tried it yesterday but it does NOT work.
SAM can be switched to LED mode, no problem. Wiring at the left/right connection plug at the light need to be switched as they have chenged the sequence there, but nor problem.
so the good news: All signals are working properly and it looks really great with the lead stripes.
BUT, and I should have tried this before :) : they have changed the installation points in the trunk, so one screw does not fit any more and they have changed the rear bumper form. So in a 09 model the tail light will leave some open space and not fill the mounting hole, no way to do this....
I would have loved to do it, and as I read on your plans I thought to pass this information on to you....

Kind regards from Munich, Germany!
Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.