Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320 SOLD, 2008 Mustang GT, 2012 Ford Escape
96 Posts
Winding Road | Spy Shots: Mercedes-Benz ML-Class In The Cold

very similar to our trucks, they just made some changes and added some styling cues inside similar to the GLK
This new model that you are refering to is actual the 2012 model.

I'm really excited about its release because it is going to make the W164 outdated and the used prices will drop (sorry all of you current owners). This is exactly what happened to the W163 after the W164 was debuted.

I will be upgrading to a W164 about 6 months after the new model comes out. I am guessing that the W164 will take a $5000-$10000 price hit. There are always certain owners who absolutely "must have the latest Mercedes Model".

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz ML350
4 Posts
Winding Road | Spy Shots: Mercedes-Benz ML-Class In The Cold

very similar to our trucks, they just made some changes and added some styling cues inside similar to the GLK
I agree with you that the exterior and interior appearance of new ML does not change a lot. I believe many customers like current appearance of ML and in my opinion, it has one of the best exterior in MID-SIZE luxury SUV class. However, compare to other midsize SUV, current ML SERIES' base engine (ML350 - W164) lacks power,and suffers sluggishness. Also, it is less fuel efficient (low MPG and low power) with respect to its competitors such as BMW X5, Infiniti FX, Acura MDX, Porsche Cayenne and Lexus RX. So MB needs to upgrade its engine in 2012 model in order not to lose its midsize SUV market and stay competitive in the market.

ANYWAY, thanks for posting these photos.

·
Registered
2007 ML CDI, 1967 250SL(early), 1984 280 SL, 2004 E320 wagon, 2015 ML 250, 1999 E300TD
449 Posts
I don't share your hope that 164 prices will drop to the degree you are hoping for.
The change from the 163 model to the 164 was complete and utter. It was a brand new and vastly improved auto- unibody etc, not just some cosmetic tidbits.
Good luck finding an 07 ML 350 for $10 grand.
BTW, I love the skinny snow tires in the photos, much better then the bling 20" stuff we see in the US.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't share your hope that 164 prices will drop to the degree you are hoping for.
The change from the 163 model to the 164 was complete and utter. It was a brand new and vastly improved auto- unibody etc, not just some cosmetic tidbits.
Good luck finding an 07 ML 350 for $10 grand.
BTW, I love the skinny snow tires in the photos, much better then the bling 20" stuff we see in the US.
Of course you are hoping that the W164 prices don't drop that much, because you already have bought one - the fact is that they will. High end vehicles always drop like a rock when the new model is released. I bought our W163 in the fall of 2005 when the W164 was released. I don't expect to find one for $10 grand, but a used truck that is 2-4 years old will drop an additional $5 - 10K almost overnight.

It has been a really good reliable vehicle (believe it or not). When I do buy a W164 it definitely will be a 2008 or newer (I wouldn't touch a 2006/2007 ML350 with a 10 foot pole just because of the early model issues like the engine balance shaft problem. Mercedes is really not very good when it comes to releasing a new model - like other manufacturers, it takes them a couple of years to get them sorted out.

·
Registered
2006 c280, 2009 320 ML BT, 2011 ML 550 Grand Edition
293 Posts
To me, a price drop equals a drop in quality. The cost of living and labor does not get cheaper, so why would the vehicle price drop unless they have found more cost effective materials to replace current ones.
I have noticed that already in recent mercedes models, the interior just does not feel the same, the quality of the knobs is a cheaper plastic, even the amount of leatherette used on the seat is less!

·
Registered
96 Posts
To me, a price drop equals a drop in quality. The cost of living and labor does not get cheaper, so why would the vehicle price drop unless they have found more cost effective materials to replace current ones.
I have noticed that already in recent mercedes models, the interior just does not feel the same, the quality of the knobs is a cheaper plastic, even the amount of leatherette used on the seat is less!
No, I am not expecting the new 2012 ML will be lower in price. I am saying that the current W164 model will drop in price. Every single CURRENT vehicle drops in price when a new model is released, which is especially true for Mercedes.

The only vehicles that don't drop in price is BMW because the new models are uglier than the one that they replace (making the old ones more desirable). The geniuses at BMW have systematically managed to destroy the look of each car when they released the new model. They now have a complete line of the ugliest vehicles on the road. The new BMW X6 is a complete abomination - what the hell were they thinking? I can't look at a BMW X6 without laughing at the person driving - it actual beats the Pontiac Aztek for the laughable award.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was expecting a somewhat more agressive exterior design change. Maybe a new ML with GL or GLK exterior design cues. I thought MB was leaning towards that design on its SUVs. This one looks more like a facelift than a new redesign ML. However, the final product may end up being a pleasant surprise. Will the new 2012 ML be out on the Fall 2011?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was expecting a somewhat more agressive exterior design change. Maybe a new ML with GL or GLK exterior design cues. I thought MB was leaning towards that design on its SUVs. This one looks more like a facelift than a new redesign ML. However, the final product may end up being a pleasant surprise. Will the new 2012 ML be out on the Fall 2011?
The release is scheduled for the late spring of 2011, which is not that far away. It's amazing that Mercedes has kept this thing under wraps so well. Nobody has a really good photo of it yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The cockpit looks like the GLK, which I absolutely love. Since I just got a 2011 ML, this body style should still be around when my leases is up, and it will definitely be a consideration.

Strange though, the side profile reminds me of the Volvo xc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts