Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: searching for this issue but no luck so far. The puddle lamps in the underside of the sideview mirrors are not working. I'm handy and reviewed videos on how to disassemble the mirror units to get at the mirror turn signals and the puddle lamp bulbs. First, I checked the bulbs; they looked ok visually but I also checked for continuity on both - no issues there. I then checked for DC voltage on the plugs and meter read just over 12V DC so there is power and apparently not a blown fuse. So, I thought maybe there is a setting that isn't enabled but the only item I can find is "Location Light" which was enabled.

Would anyone out there have an idea or suggestion on how to get these lights working?

Thanks, Tralf

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
17 Posts
I have had similar issues with light bulbs, led bulbs. In my cases the voltage was there and the bulbs checked out okay. What the problem has been is a slight bit of corrosion over time causes the contact not to be there. Pulling the bulb and reinserting it has scraped thru the corrosion and the bulb again makes contact and lights up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for that. I checked for corrosion also but the contacts on the bulbs & plugs were like brand new. They were sealed very well after 11 years on the road. I started to think “Gremlins”? :(. But now I’m thinking that my light switch is on “Auto” so maybe that forces the puddles to come on only at night which is when I discovered them to be working.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
17 Posts
2011 E359 4Matic Wagon is what I have as well.

I learned something today that I had not even thought about until your original post.

I have an office job where we have a lot of perks. One of those perks is a garage space to work on cars. So this morning I pulled the car in and did some testing.

There are 2 types of "Puddle Lights on the car. Mirror Puddle lights and Door Bottom Puddle lights.

Mirror puddle lights - come on under the following conditions.
1. In garage with or without lights on when the car is unlocked by the remote or by the key. (Do not come on outside in bright sunlight)
2. In garage with or with out lights on when door is closed after the car is shut down and you srepout and close the door. (Do not come on in bright sunlight)

Mirror Puddle lights do not come on if the car is left unlocked in the garage or outside in the dark and you just walk up to the door and open it.

When ulocking the door with the remote the Mirror Puddle lights go out when the door is opened and the door bottom puddle lights come on.

That is what i found atleast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thx for that info. It's daylight here & I just tested same as u. I found it doesn't matter which position the headlight switch is, mirror puddles do not light in daytime. Must have or be connected to sensors for night. Door puddles come on whenever doors are opened, locked or unlocked, day or night. This is what I found. I'm going to c/o again tonight to see if mirror puddles go out when doors are opened. BTW, I went to my Benz service advisor before any of this and they had no clue. I'm finding many functional items that appear to be hidden features only briefly described in the manual or not at all. That's why these forums are helpful. All the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts