Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous car was a 2010 E350 Coupe which I truly hated for its brutal ride. After two years I traded it for a 2011 E350 4Matic Sedan.

After another two years I am ready to sell the sedan too and this will be the final good-bye to Mercedes. I am still undecided what I am going to get. I don't really care as long as it has a comfortable seat and a comfortable ride.

My 2011 E350 4Matic review:

PROS
It has been reliable. No problems. Only routine maintenance.
Good sound system; the heated seats and steering wheel are nice in the winter

CONS
The big one: the ride is harsh. The smallest road imperfection results in a direct hit to your frame. Driving this car is a process of taking a non-stop beating.
The seat has about a thousand setting combinations. Only one is missing: the “Comfortable”. This is the most uncomfortable car seat I ever sat in (ignoring the coupe's seat which is basically a wooden bench). My thighs are squeezed between the hard and intrusive side supports (I am normal height and weight). I don't think I had a single comfortable moment in that seat in two years. Out of curiosity I test drove an E550 with air suspension and dynamic seat – it is just as bad, both the ride and the seat.
The rain sensing wiper usually wipes too slow but occasionally starts wiping frantically for no particular reason, startling the driver. Worse, there is no manual intermittent setting. “Stuttgart knows best” and the driver is not to be trusted with making his own decisions.
There are small things like: the cup holder insert in the central console is a cheap piece of hard plastic. The fingers rattle whenever a cup is in it. Honestly, don't these people have shame? Anything you can find in a Hyundai is better than this.
The “floating dial” of the speedometer is impossible to read. It is small and blends in with the gray & white color scheme.
The wipers squeak. The old wipers did; the brand new Bosh wipers do. Nothing helps.

After four years of putting up with MB I have a craving for a comfortable car. I could put it this way: I want my life back.

These are the features I want in my next car:

Comfortable seats
Comfortable ride
No low profile tires
No “sport” anything
No rain sensors
No “attention assist”
Door that doesn't chime when I open it (I am willing to pay extra for this)

Any good advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the same car as you. I agree about the seat and ride. I'm happy with the rest of the car. Before I bought this one I shopped. I bought my car used with 4000 miles on it. I don't remember the price but, it was around $37,000.00 I couldn't find another similar deal. How much more do I want to pay for a seat? I hope you tell us what you come up with. I think it will be harder than you think for the same price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the active contour seat and find it very comfortable, so I guess that depends, although I've seen other complaints on here about the seats.

Ride quality? I think its very good, very smooth even on tough roads, hard to believe we're talking about the same car.

I agree with the floating dial, waste of time, yes, cup holder cheap but it works well for me. I actually don't rate the stereo at all, my nissan pathfinder blows this away.

All that said, when I was shopping for this car the only other car that I really liked was the new Genesis although I think you'll find the interior of that car isn't quite on par in terms of 'feel' with this older generation E350. But that should be pretty easy to get over, great value for money and the interior was quieter than anything else I test drove, almost too quiet.

The reasons why I didn't buy a Genesis are: because it was too new for CPO's, its was the first model year, and for some reason 2 out of the 4 genesis's I drove seemed to have alignments issues, wobble on the freeway. 2 out of 4 brand new cars - whats up with that ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same car as you. I agree about the seat and ride. I'm happy with the rest of the car. Before I bought this one I shopped. I bought my car used with 4000 miles on it. I don't remember the price but, it was around $37,000.00 I couldn't find another similar deal. How much more do I want to pay for a seat? I hope you tell us what you come up with. I think it will be harder than you think for the same price.
I am fine with the rest of the car too but if you drive daily, lack of driving comfort will eventually affect your general well being. I often find myself irritated for no reason and then I realize it's because of the beating I take in my car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that said, when I was shopping for this car the only other car that I really liked was the new Genesis although I think you'll find the interior of that car isn't quite on par in terms of 'feel' with this older generation E350. But that should be pretty easy to get over, great value for money and the interior was quieter than anything else I test drove, almost too quiet.

The reasons why I didn't buy a Genesis are: because it was too new for CPO's, its was the first model year, and for some reason 2 out of the 4 genesis's I drove seemed to have alignments issues, wobble on the freeway. 2 out of 4 brand new cars - whats up with that ?
I also looked at the Genesis and was very tempted but the steering didn't feel reassuring, plus the design was copied from four or five other cars which was a turn-off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The most comfortable seats I ever sat in were my '03 Volvo Cross Country, I understand that the new ones are every bit as nice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the active contour seat and find it very comfortable, so I guess that depends, although I've seen other complaints on here about the seats.

Ride quality? I think its very good, very smooth even on tough roads, hard to believe we're talking about the same car.

I agree with the floating dial, waste of time, yes, cup holder cheap but it works well for me. I actually don't rate the stereo at all, my nissan pathfinder blows this away.

because Genesis are JUNK!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
CarolinaBluetec
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing