Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 E 350 convertible which is 19 months old and has 32,000 k on it. I baby this car in and only drive back and forth from home to work on our city's main roads.

The car has developed a high frequency wobbling sound at 40 mph and above - almost like a tire was out of round or a wheel bearing was defective. It increases in intensity the faster the car is driven.

MB informs me that 3 out of 4 rims on my car are warped. They say the rims are warped due to our poor roads. I say this is nonsense as any car (especially an MB) should be able to operate normally in whatever urban environment the car is sold in.

I had a CLK convertible for years and never had this issue arise. My suspicion is that with MB changing to the wide low profile tires on the E350 the actual amount of rubber between the rim and the road is minimal. As a result, I believe that the car's impact with the road is not being cushioned properly by the tire and is being transfered directly to the rim. The E350's weight may also play a factor in this.

If I am right, this is a design issue. MB says no - they are not responsible which I find to be disappointing in the least.

I believe MB replacement rims are about $700 or more a piece. If I replace my rims with MB rims, the problem would most likely arise again. So I think the only way out is to buy a set of high quality aftermarket rims.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
2015, ML250 BlueTEC 4W
320 Posts
Rim problems

I have a 2011 E 350 convertible which is 19 months old and has 32,000 k on it. I baby this car in and only drive back and forth from home to work on our city's main roads.

The car has developed a high frequency wobbling sound at 40 mph and above - almost like a tire was out of round or a wheel bearing was defective. It increases in intensity the faster the car is driven.

MB informs me that 3 out of 4 rims on my car are warped. They say the rims are warped due to our poor roads. I say this is nonsense as any car (especially an MB) should be able to operate normally in whatever urban environment the car is sold in.

I had a CLK convertible for years and never had this issue arise. My suspicion is that with MB changing to the wide low profile tires on the E350 the actual amount of rubber between the rim and the road is minimal. As a result, I believe that the car's impact with the road is not being cushioned properly by the tire and is being transfered directly to the rim. The E350's weight may also play a factor in this.

If I am right, this is a design issue. MB says no - they are not responsible which I find to be disappointing in the least.

I believe MB replacement rims are about $700 or more a piece. If I replace my rims with MB rims, the problem would most likely arise again. So I think the only way out is to buy a set of high quality aftermarket rims.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Have had 2010,2011,2012 E350 Sports. Took off OEM wheels and put on MANDRUS wheels which are made to only fit MB. Same set of wheels has been on all 3 cars. No problems. Mandrus can be bought @ Discount Tire. Our roads are no better than average. I keep tire pressure @ 35/36 lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the advice....I find this whole episode disappointing...I really miss the old MB and their cars.....I remember an older MB mechanic telling me that my 2002 CLK convertible was the last of the real Mercedes

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Thanks very much for the advice....I find this whole episode disappointing...I really miss the old MB and their cars.....I remember an older MB mechanic telling me that my 2002 CLK convertible was the last of the real Mercedes
That's major BS. The first gen CLK, as nice as it looks, is one of the most POS "un-MB M-B's of all time. Along with the first gen ML, and pre facelift W210's, carried into the W220, somewhat the W211 (which was tremendously improved after its first couple of years on the market) and W204, etc.

Really, M-B's got to that "code of M-B" again when the W221 S-Class launched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts