Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Benz owner here. I've been trying very hard to get a music collection into my COMMAND system. I've pretty much given up on a DVD MP3 solution and after looking through the manual it appears that I should have a USB connector in the glove box along with the iPod stuff. I'm not interested in buying an iPod just to have it act as storage for music, but I am trying to track down this USB cable since like many others I have a ton of USB storage devices that would be much easier to use.

So is this a dealer item? Was it perhaps lost by the original owner? Is this a phantom product?

I tried the mercedes-benz website to look for accessories and parts and all I found was a bunch of clothes. Love the car; not really thrilled with how hard this is. Two nights wasted trying to put some music in this thing is pretty frustrating so excuse my tone here. I'm actually a very nice guy.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
I think it's something that should have been delivered with the car.

My new C200CDI had a plastic bag in the glove box, containing 2 cables. The USB one is part number A001 827 67 04. You can find one via an eBay search (it's in Germany and is slightly different from the one in the link you posted), but I think you should return to the dealer and ask for one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the one from that site yesterday. I called the local dealer's parts department and he didn't even know what I was talking about. I did find one on e-Bay that said that it was original, but it looks like a male USB connector and didn't appear to be original to me. I went with this one because I found the exact same one on Amazon and there were two reviews that said it worked for them.

I bought the car used so any cable that may have been in there when it was delivered that isn't in there now is long gone.

I bought the wife a new Camry a few days ago and plugged a USB stick in there and it worked perfectly. If I can get it to work even close in mine I'll be extremely thrilled.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
Hope the cable works well for you.

As it was, I didn't need to use a cable at all to fill the 10gb hard drive in my COMAND as there's a female USB port inside the armrest (as well as a larger socket that the cable with the female USB end plugs into). Simply plugged a flash drive full of MP3s into the USB port and COMAND imported them onto the 10gb hard drive.

I've since got more MP3s and put them on a flash drive in the armrest port, plus an SD card in the card slot. So now I've got 3 sources of music at my disposal. I guess I could also plug a flash drive into the cable in the armrest making 4 in all! (Not sure if COMAND can distinguish between the USB female port, and the cable with the USB female end. Must try a flash drive in each and see).

This may not make sense to you if your US spec car doesn't have anything like I have in the armrest. My doesn't appear to have any ports etc in the glovebox (it was dark when I was looking anyway).

·
Registered
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
45 Posts
My 2011 C300 was missing the cables as well. The dealer ordered the media interface kit for me at no charge. It is comprised of 3 cables... USB, iPod/iPhone, Aux mini jack. I only use the USB interface cable with my 1,000 tunes on a memory stick. Comand recognizes meta data and works with folders on the stick. It will play random tracks from all folders or from a selected folder depending on your media setting under options.

The interface cable plugs into a port inside the glove box. Mine is located on the top-left side... Plugs in pointing up (ceiling of the glove box).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2011 C300 was missing the cables as well. The dealer ordered the media interface kit for me at no charge. It is comprised of 3 cables... USB, iPod/iPhone, Aux mini jack. I only use the USB interface cable with my 1,000 tunes on a memory stick. Comand recognizes meta data and works with folders on the stick. It will play random tracks from all folders or from a selected folder depending on your media setting under options.

The interface cable plugs into a port inside the glove box. Mine is located on the top-left side... Plugs in pointing up (ceiling of the glove box).
PERFECTOMUNDO. :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I was looking for. I am hoping the el cheapo cable works, but I appreciate the details.

One more question; do you know if there is a capacity or file limitation? I'm thinking that a 32G stick would give me a couple of months worth of music without a problem, but I know that the PCMCIA slot has some idiosyncrasies. First hand experience is always the best.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
45 Posts
I seem to recall mention of 8 folders max. but nothing on number of max. tunes. I can't seem to find this info at the moment but will dig around further.

·
Registered
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
45 Posts
Media Interface Important Notes

Connection Options

Via the UCI connection (Universal Consumer Interface) you can connect the following media to COMAND:

MP3 player
USB devices
Supported iPod Versions

The following iPod versions are fully supported:
iPod Mini
iPod nano
iPod nano 4G
iPod nano 5G

Supported USB Devices

The following USB devices are supported:
USB sticks (flash memory)
USB hard drives (1-inch, 1.8-inch and 2.5-inch drives) with a starting/continuous current rating of maximum 800 mA (otherwise a separate power supply will be necessary)

The Media Interface supports USB storage media of "USB Device Subclass 6". You can obtain information about the "USB Device Subclass 6" from the manufacturer.

Supported Data Formats (USB devices)

The following data types are supported:
MP3: CBR, VBR (up to 320 kbit/s)

WMA: CBR, VBR (up to 320 kbit/s) In order to display the metadata during playback, ID3 tags (version 1.x, 2.3, 2.4) and WMA tags in ASCII and UTF16 coding are supported.

Notes on USB Devices

In order to keep the initialisation time short, do not store data other than music files on the USB device.

Up to 8 directory levels with up to 1,000 tracks are supported.

Do not use a USB extension cable or adapter. These may impair functionality.

Playlists are searched for in the background on the USB device and, if available, are offered beside folders in a separate category.

Files protected with DRM (Digital Rights Management) are not supported by the Media Interface.

Connecting External Devices

You will find the connection sockets in the glove compartment. Never connect more than one device at a time. Please consult a Mercedes-Benz Service Center for further information.

Do not leave external devices in the vehicle, as functionality cannot be guaranteed above certain temperatures (such as inside a vehicle in direct sunlight). Mercedes-Benz does not take responsibility for any damage to external devices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the part today; plugged right in and worked like a champ. Can't complain about $25 shipped to my door within 2 days time. I was going to have to drive out to the dealership, pay $59 to place the order, wait at least 2 days, drive back down there to pick it up and be where I am right now.

Works really well. I stripped off all the ID3 tags and sorted it by directory (which is by album). I'm going to pick up a 3 pack of 16G USB sticks tomorrow and imagine I'll be quite happy. It's surprisingly quick to navigate with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts