Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone, I get this grinding noise as I accelerate. It sounds like the tranny gears are grinding. Any clues as to where I should start?

·
Registered
1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K,2011 C300
639 Posts
What's your mileage?

You have isolated the noise to only when accelerating in gear?

So no noise when revving car in neutral?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the engine sounds just fine. Only when accdllarating or going over 40mph. I believe the torque converter.might be the issue here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My speakers are pretty crap but that sounds more like wheel bearings to me, does the noise change as you steer left to right while driving?
Does it get worse the faster you drive, as if its a constant noise that just increases with speed?
Does it change pitch like gear changing gears the faster you go?
Generally with a wheel bearing if you drive slow its hard to detect, the faster you go the worse it gets to the point if its real bad you can feel it.

I would be jacking the car up on stands and see if the noise is there with the wheels off the ground, then check each wheel for a noise to pinpoint which one it could be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My speakers are pretty crap but that sounds more like wheel bearings to me, does the noise change as you steer left to right while driving?
No change in steering turns. The sounds is pretty consistently during accellarating at about 40mph and more.
Does it get worse the faster you drive, as if its a constant noise that just increases with speed?
Same noise, no change in intensity.
Does it change pitch like gear changing gears the faster you go?
I have not noticed the tranny having any issues changing gears.
Generally with a wheel bearing if you drive slow its hard to detect, the faster you go the worse it gets to the point if its real bad you can feel it.
I dont believe it is a wheel bearing issue but you never know.
I would be jacking the car up on stands and see if the noise is there with the wheels off the ground, then check each wheel for a noise to pinpoint which one it could be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and no the sounds doesn't change pitch the faster I go, its a pretty consistent sounds just like the video.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get it onto a hoist and check it, try to simulate the speed of the car with it in the air and see where its coming from
pretty hard to diagnose something when you are inside and driving, you need someone in the car while someone checks from underneath.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,496 Posts
Don’t overlook motor mounts at that mileage. Engine shifting an cause the fan or something else to hit other things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts