Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Merc C240 Auto 2001 Model. Gears seems work fine to 3 rd gear only while driving and then also does not allow you to gear down by pushing tiptronic gear lever to the left. No messages display on the instrument panel though. It seems to only do so after about 20km when the car was not in use for an hour so.
Some say battery is busy going, others say it could be speed plate problem on the gear box. Please advise what best to try to fix.

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
Just like any computer. You turn it off, you turn it on and it resets to the defaults.
If your tranny has 1st stage of limp it will start shifting till the problem surface again.
If it doesn't reset with ignition, this will be 2nd stage limp and only resetable by Star computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to replace your shift plate on your valve body (it has the solinoids on it). Take it to the dealer and have then do a scan with the DAS, it should shed some more light on your issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yesterday the car could only do 3rd gear, but could go to Parka and Neutral. This morning she only goes in 1st gear going forward... it usually only started with thso porblem after you have driven for a say 20km or so - so I think it is getting time to renew the vehicle in the new year as too many things are starting to go wrong lately with the vehicle costing a lot of money. Pity as it is very nice vehicle - have 184K on the clock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put Merc on trick to garage this morning. They said speed sensor 3 is failing according to electronic records..so they will be replacing the speed plate .. cost about zar4000 = USD500 more or less. So lets see if that solves the problem ... at 184K km, I assume these things will start breaking down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts