Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ML-320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone had an idea about why I get so many Check Engine lights on my 2010 ML-320 Here is the history:

Date 7/9/09 Mileage 10425 Problem: Check Engine Light On - Dealer says "Wiring on NOX sensor Faulty TAC said to reposition wiring away from heat shield"
Date 9/17/09 Mileage 16443 Problem: "Trouble starting ESP light Comes On" - Dealer says "Replaced fuel pump"
Date 2/25/10 Mileage 31626 Problem: "Check Engine Light Goes On Then goes off" - Dealer says "Unable to Duplicate"
Date 7/10/10 Mileage 44187 Problem: "Fuel Indicator went to zero and back to 3/4 in a matter of seconds while driving"- Dealer says "Unable to Duplicate"
Date 7/28/10 Mileage 46885 Problem: "Random ESP lights and Check Engine Light" - Dealer says "Found code 203c11"
Date 8/12/10 Mileage 47965 Problem: "Battery Dead" - Dealer says "Replaced Battery"
Date 8/13/10 Mileage 48002 Problem:"Check Engine Light On" - Dealer says "Several low voltage codes stored, Check Engine Light not on at the dealer"
Date 12/20/10 Mileage 58737 Problem:- "Check Engine Light On" - Dealer says "Replaced Exhaust Temperature Sensor"
Date 3/21/11 Mileage 65251 Problem: "Check Engine Light On, Random ESP light"- Dealer says "Found Code 10B200, Replaced upstream Exhaust Temperature Sensor"
Date 6/7/11 Mileage 71542 Problem: "Check Engine Light On- Dealer says "Found Code 153900, added Adblue"
Date 6/24/11 Mileage 71899 Problem: "Check Engine Light On"- Dealer says "Found Code 20BE1B, Replaced Adblue Tank Assembly"
Date 3/1/12 Mileage 84264 Problem "Check Engine Light did come on for a day or two and then went away- Dealer says "Could not Duplicate"

Today at mileage 95000 I have another Check Engine Light On I checked the code myself (I have not gone to the dealer yet) P2BA9 I looked this code up and it says NOx Excedence - Insufficient Regent Quality.

Thanks

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
This is the W163 forum appropriate to model years 1998-2005. Perhaps you should post in the W164 forum if yours is a MY2010!

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Hi I was wondering if anyone had an idea about why I get so many Check Engine lights on my 2010 ML-320 Here is the history:

Date 7/9/09 Mileage 10425 Problem: Check Engine Light On - Dealer says "Wiring on NOX sensor Faulty TAC said to reposition wiring away from heat shield"
Date 9/17/09 Mileage 16443 Problem: "Trouble starting ESP light Comes On" - Dealer says "Replaced fuel pump"
Date 2/25/10 Mileage 31626 Problem: "Check Engine Light Goes On Then goes off" - Dealer says "Unable to Duplicate"
Date 7/10/10 Mileage 44187 Problem: "Fuel Indicator went to zero and back to 3/4 in a matter of seconds while driving"- Dealer says "Unable to Duplicate"
Date 7/28/10 Mileage 46885 Problem: "Random ESP lights and Check Engine Light" - Dealer says "Found code 203c11"
Date 8/12/10 Mileage 47965 Problem: "Battery Dead" - Dealer says "Replaced Battery"
Date 8/13/10 Mileage 48002 Problem:"Check Engine Light On" - Dealer says "Several low voltage codes stored, Check Engine Light not on at the dealer"
Date 12/20/10 Mileage 58737 Problem:- "Check Engine Light On" - Dealer says "Replaced Exhaust Temperature Sensor"
Date 3/21/11 Mileage 65251 Problem: "Check Engine Light On, Random ESP light"- Dealer says "Found Code 10B200, Replaced upstream Exhaust Temperature Sensor"
Date 6/7/11 Mileage 71542 Problem: "Check Engine Light On- Dealer says "Found Code 153900, added Adblue"
Date 6/24/11 Mileage 71899 Problem: "Check Engine Light On"- Dealer says "Found Code 20BE1B, Replaced Adblue Tank Assembly"
Date 3/1/12 Mileage 84264 Problem "Check Engine Light did come on for a day or two and then went away- Dealer says "Could not Duplicate"

Today at mileage 95000 I have another Check Engine Light On I checked the code myself (I have not gone to the dealer yet) P2BA9 I looked this code up and it says NOx Excedence - Insufficient Regent Quality.

Thanks
If thats the future glad i got my w163.

·
Registered
2010 ML-320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem with catalytic converter now/oil leak

I have to add several new problems now to my ML. The check engine light came back on and I took it back to the dealer for them to look at the car. They told me that the "The check engine light concern is due to an insuffecient catalatic converter, and it would have to be replaced. "

A refurbished cat is $3622 with $288 for labor. A brand new is $5,800.

In addition they identified an oil cooler leak coming from the engine bay area. Once it was torn apart they found that the leak was from the "the turbo seal and oil cooler leak" and this will be $2000. Then the intake flap actuator is now damaged and needs to be replaced for $500.

Help! Can any suggest some what I should do for fixing the catalytic converter?

At 100k miles am I going to get these type of repair costs often? ($7000) the car has only been dealer serviced and repaired and almost all of the miles are highway miles with the cruise set at 75 mph.

Thanks for any comments

·
Registered
2009 ML350, 2002 E320
19 Posts
I have to add several new problems now to my ML. The check engine light came back on and I took it back to the dealer for them to look at the car. They told me that the "The check engine light concern is due to an insuffecient catalatic converter, and it would have to be replaced. "

A refurbished cat is $3622 with $288 for labor. A brand new is $5,800.

In addition they identified an oil cooler leak coming from the engine bay area. Once it was torn apart they found that the leak was from the "the turbo seal and oil cooler leak" and this will be $2000. Then the intake flap actuator is now damaged and needs to be replaced for $500.

At 100k miles am I going to get these type of repair costs often? ($7000) the car has only been dealer serviced and repaired and almost all of the miles are highway miles with the cruise set at 75 mph.

Thanks for any comments
First of all, anytime a check engine light is on there will be codes stored if the light is on at the time of diag. Second, I fixed a 211 the other day with the same engine you have and it had Nox codes. The front O2 sensor was completely clogged with carbon, which will cause incorrect fuel mixture. Over time, this could damage the catalyst. However, it could be causing a rich condition due to the fact that it's not reading correctly. This will leave a rich condition after the catalyst and the dealership will interpret this as an insufficient catalyst function. I'm not sure if this is the same problem you have, but it would be worth taking a look into. I have never heard of the exhaust system needing replaced on this diesel engine for insufficient catalyst, but there are lots of pre-cat O2 replacements.

Onto your second problem, oil leaks. The turbo seal leaks all the time. You might as well just replace that seal every 30k. The problem with that leak is it runs right down on top of the actuator and takes it out so those issues are most likely true. However, the oil cooler leak cannot be seen unless the intake is removed. Also, all the oil from the turbo seal will leak directly down onto the cooler (which is below the actuator) and into the valley where it can hold quite a bit of oil before it leaks out down the side of the block. The only way to determine (without major disassembly) that the oil cooler leaks is by process of elimination. My advice is to replace the turbo seal, air line heater seal (directly to the left of the turbo seal), and actuator. Have them dump tons of cleaner into the valley when the actuator is out, to help flush out the residual oil. Clean off block and belly pan. Re-inspect at next oil change.

Hope this helps. What dealership did you take this to?

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts

At 100k miles am I going to get these type of repair costs often?
Federal emissions warranty is 100,000 miles or 8 years. California and a few others impose a 150,000 mile / 10 year emissions warranty for vehicles originally sold in state and primarily operated there.

·
Registered
2010 ML-320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never heard of the exhaust system needing replaced on this diesel engine for insufficient catalyst, but there are lots of pre-cat O2 replacements.
What dealership did you take this to?
I am going to take it to an independent repair shop for a second opinion. But you think there is a good chance I don't need to spend $4000 to fix this?

I have never heard of the exhaust system needing replaced on this diesel engine for insufficient catalyst, but there are lots of pre-cat O2 replacements.
What dealership did you take this to?
Its at Brumos in Jacksonville.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts