Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are E350s manufactured in Germany? I was considering an ML350 but I know of quality problems people have with them and many say it is because they are manufactured here in the states. I plan on using USAA pricing to get whatever MB I end up with. Thanks!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Unlike the ML, yes the E is made in Germany and hopefully will always be made in Germany.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Unlike the ML, yes the E is made in Germany and hopefully will always be made in Germany.
Actually some are made in Graz Austria. As to the ML I am on my 4th one since 1998 and have never experienced a major problem. In fact the 06 ML500 I recently traded never had one issue at all in the 4 years I owned it. My 2010 ML550 to date has not had one issue since delivery last Oct.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Actually some are made in Graz Austria. As to the ML I am on my 4th one since 1998 and have never experienced a major problem. In fact the 06 ML500 I recently traded never had one issue at all in the 4 years I owned it. My 2010 ML550 to date has not had one issue since delivery last Oct.
The coupe and soft top do not count. They are not W212's. They only wear the E name to justify the high price point.

Your experience with the ML is nothing more then anecdotal. Your findings do not represent or reflect most ML's. Whether or not the first generation ML was reliable or not for some people, it was still a poor quality product made in Alabama at a Chrysler plant. You could have purchased a Durango, slapped a star on the hood and the had the same truck for less money. The second generation was much improved, but still lacking in build quality and reliability. No reliability stats are available on the W212 yet, but the build quality is much better then the ML. That is for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a new 2010 E350 4matic, and I would not have bought the car if it was built and assembled in the states. It's just not the same.

Although I would agree with xpowerseller that the early ML's had lots of problems (this is what I read and hear from my neighbor who says his 2004 ML eats brakes every 12-15K). The current model year is much improved. With 19" wheels, the ML drives a lot differntly than without. Costwise, ML350 to E350-4matic are very close.
Anyone shopping one may want to look at the other. I test drove both and chose the E because I wanted better feul economy, and already have an SUV in the family.

Any new model year car of any manufacturer is suspect to have initial problems and that is why I chose the MB extended warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The coupe and soft top do not count. They are not W212's. They only wear the E name to justify the high price point.

Your experience with the ML is nothing more then anecdotal. Your findings do not represent or reflect most ML's. Whether or not the first generation ML was reliable or not for some people, it was still a poor quality product made in Alabama at a Chrysler plant. You could have purchased a Durango, slapped a star on the hood and the had the same truck for less money. The second generation was much improved, but still lacking in build quality and reliability. No reliability stats are available on the W212 yet, but the build quality is much better then the ML. That is for sure.
I live 20 miles from the vance plant. i dont know were you got its a Chrysler plant. it has never had anything to do with chrysler. employees in the begining had to go to germany to train before they ever worked in the plant. The quality of any car can vary, ive had a cadillac that gm left on oil ring off a piston. a fx45 that the leather seats cracked, dash pad cracked, gave my daughter a g37s and it has an electrical drain that runs the battery down monthly. That being said i bought a new e550 for my wife couple weeks ago and we both are happy with it.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts

Actually when I bought my first ML I do not believe that Chrysler was even involved. The Alabama plant was never a Chrysler plant and was built by Damiler Benz to produce the ML and subsequently the others that are built there. I do feel that my ML experience is relavent due to the number of them I have owned and the fact that since 1998 I have driven one most every day. I have never had a fit or finish issue or any other issue that relates to US sourced components.

·
Registered
2010 E350 Luxury, P1 Package
124 Posts
Not the same

It seems that most cars made in the South at new plants have quality problems. The only Infiniti CR did not recommend a few years back was the one made in either Alabama or Mississippi at Nissan plant.
Maybe it is a learning process for both the employees and the managers.
Personally, I prefer that my E350 was made in Sindelfingen.
M-B is going to start making C class cars in Alabama.
BTW, I live 40 miles from the US BMW plant.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
I live 20 miles from the vance plant. i dont know were you got its a Chrysler plant. it has never had anything to do with chrysler. employees in the begining had to go to germany to train before they ever worked in the plant. The quality of any car can vary, ive had a cadillac that gm left on oil ring off a piston. a fx45 that the leather seats cracked, dash pad cracked, gave my daughter a g37s and it has an electrical drain that runs the battery down monthly. That being said i bought a new e550 for my wife couple weeks ago and we both are happy with it.
Look at the door tag. Built under license by Chrysler. This only applies to North American first generation ML's. Europe got Austrian made units from 99-02, which were much better quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at the door tag. Built under license by Chrysler. This only applies to North American first generation ML's. Europe got Austrian made units from 99-02, which were much better quality.
that may have been there because of the merger but thats all it was. the vance site was selected in 1993 and completed in 1996 first production was in 1997. the chrysler fiasco started in 1998. i agree that the first m class had quality problems. So did the r class. I have a vendor that does work for my company that also builds jigs etc, for the vance plant. so i get the hear about the good and the bad things that goes on. ive also been watching the 2011 r class running up and down i459 daily for a while. i still think its ugly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.