Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
The MY2009 facelift updated the COMAND unit to NTG 2.5. I am not sure if this will work on the earlier NTG 2.0 units. I looked at some photos of those on eBay and I don't see video input ports on them like on the NTG 2.5.

In SDS, you go into "Control Units" -> "Information and communication" -> "Audio, video, navigation and telematics" -> (accept the MSOT configuration) -> "COMAND - (COMAND Display and Operating Unit)" -> "Development Data" -> "Control Unit Adaptations" -> "Control unit adaptations (Variant coding)" -> "HU Parameter"

If the options is available, it will be there.[/

I got my SDS up and running. I got to the point where it says variant coding. Does not say HU parameter though. But has Video AUX jack. click on that and says "The video AUX jack is already occupied by the following control unit: -Media interface. Since the AUX jack is already being used, the setting cannot be changed.
I tried this with and without the green fakra plug installed. any suggestions?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
Click on line 24 - Backup Camera. The setting will work regardless of whether the camera is plugged in or not.

·
18,845 Posts
OK, are you in the "Development Data" section?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't see anything that says Development Date section. I can get all the way to the point that says insert disk.
I am not in a demo mode.

·
18,845 Posts
See if this helps. I did this in "SIM" mode, so live may be slightly different.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Got my backup camera installed. I used wireless. There is a switched acc plug in the trunk of my 09 so that takes some of the worry out of additional battery drain. Now off to get it coded.
Where did you find the switched acc plug in your trunk? Does anyone know if the 2009 SL65 has this also?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Although the USA version of COMAND has all the settings and even wiring connections for a backup camera, it won't work because video is locked-out unless it's in park. Of course then aren't in reverse so there no signal to activate the backup camera. The solution is an aftermarket module that will unlock video in motion sold by Mid-City Engineering sells this. There may be others, too. I've seen the Mid-City module ion action (member Wayne Drayer here on the forum had it installed) and it works very nicely - even has an option for a front camera.
Any more info on the module required to also add this front camera? Does it require a Y-Splitter cable to allow both front and rear cameras to plug into the Fakra cable? What would determine the front or rear view? If I can find the module to allow video in motion then is it as simple as if gear shift is in reverse your view is the reverse cam and if gear shift is in drive your view is the front cam? Is there any buttons to push on my Command module in case I want to view my NAV or Radio station screen? I would normally only want the front cam view when parking. Thx.

·
18,845 Posts
I think I have the correct info, but you might contact Mid City Engineering to find out for certain. For the rear camera, since you have a MY2009 with the NTG2.5 COMAND, you will use the built-in camera port. The COMAND will just need to be coded to activate the camera. For the front camera, get the Video in Motion adapter from Mid-City. This has its own video input to allow the COMAND screen to show video while the car is moving. It has options to automatically switch its video on when the car is moving forward below a certain speed. That way, the front camera's view pops up on the screen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where did you find the switched acc plug in your trunk? Does anyone know if the 2009 SL65 has this also?
There is a 12 volt socket right under the trunk light on the right side. You really cant see it unless you stick your head and look under the light. Mine is a SL550 2009

·
18,845 Posts
Yep, it's there to run the compressor to inflate the collapsed spare tire.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts