Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2009 ML320 W164 - what colour is the reverse light wire in the harness from the vehicle?

5K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  TrevorT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I'm wiring in an Avin PX5 unit today, and the instructions are ... pretty thin on organized detail.

Does anyone know what colour the reverse wire is in the harness coming from the vehicle that connects to the rear of the tail lamp housing?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Thanks Witek, that's exactly what I needed to know.

BTW, where did you find this info?

Also, I was re-thinking how to power this back-up cam.
The PX5 head unit has the ability to record front and rear cameras in a "black box"-type functionality.
If I want to power the rear camera all the time, what would be the best way to do this? Tap into a tail light wire? Something else?

#4 ·
You cannot use reverse light for power as that may result in error in rear SAM for light out. Unless camera draws only few milliamps.

Before you decide to power something to always on check overall power consumption. Or you will wear out your jumper cables. :)

Information comes from W164 manual on DVD.

#5 ·
Ok, good - that makes sense.

There is no information provided by Avin on the power specs of their camera.
Basic research seems to show that it's (12V) somewhere in the range of 90mA to 250mA.

Would you have any recommendation for powering the camera?

#6 ·
Break out amp meter and measure it. Normal quiescent current should be 25 mA or less. Anything above will give low battery headaches.

There is positive lug at rear SAM. You could install relay and trigger it with right backup light. That will eliminate long wire runs.

#7 ·
That sounds like a good solution for turning on the camera when the reverse light comes on.

What if I'd like to power the camera whenever the engine is running?
(Apologies - electrically savvy I am not, but I can DIY the hell out of something if I try)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.