Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all!
I am new to this brand of car, but my family is not. I currently have a 99 Lexus ES300. I want another car and quite frankly this Lexus is boring. It has 300,xxx miles on it.

I’ve been looking at MB because they seem to be the most reliable European brand when researching and also asking some friends and family. I’m looking between two cars, a 2009 ML350 (non 4matic) and a 2009 E350. Both Gasoline vehicles.

My concern is reliability, I have been told they can be nice cars, but if I need to fix them, they will be extremely expensive and difficult to fix. I am a diy mechanic, I can comfortably work on cars, I’ve done work ranging from timing belts to oil changes to brake pads.

Finally, the major questions:
1. Which of these two vehicles am I better off with? (MPG is not a major concern, but quality and ease of fixing is.)
2. Will I need to buy a very expensive scan tool to do maintenance work? (I.e like changing brake pads)
3. How is the ownership experience for you?
4.Are there any major problems I should be on the look out for on these cars?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention, when I asked which is better, I mean reliability and quality wise. I’m fine with driving an SUV or sedan

·
Registered
84 Posts
1. Which of these two vehicles am I better off with? (MPG is not a major concern, but quality and ease of fixing is.) - Couldn't say regarding the ML, a lot probably boils down to personal preference? You're likely to have more cargo room/ease in loading things with the ML though.
2. Will I need to buy a very expensive scan tool to do maintenance work? (I.e like changing brake pads) - For simple work as you mentioned, you're probably okay, but anything above that you may need a Star diagnostics tool.
3. How is the ownership experience for you? - 2008 E350 4Matic here. Excellent ownership experience so far. Only a little over a year however. No surprises.
4.Are there any major problems I should be on the look out for on these cars? - Again, unsure on the ML, but for the E350, that year is pretty damn solid from what I hear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Which of these two vehicles am I better off with? (MPG is not a major concern, but quality and ease of fixing is.) - Couldn't say regarding the ML, a lot probably boils down to personal preference? You're likely to have more cargo room/ease in loading things with the ML though.
2. Will I need to buy a very expensive scan tool to do maintenance work? (I.e like changing brake pads) - For simple work as you mentioned, you're probably okay, but anything above that you may need a Star diagnostics tool.
3. How is the ownership experience for you? - 2008 E350 4Matic here. Excellent ownership experience so far. Only a little over a year however. No surprises.
4.Are there any major problems I should be on the look out for on these cars? - Again, unsure on the ML, but for the E350, that year is pretty damn solid from what I hear.
Thank you. I’m honestly okay with either the E or ML, I just noticed that the SUV is made in Alabama I believe and the E is in Germany.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I have a 2009 E350. If it were possible to search, you could find my thread over on the w211 forum when I bought it. Seems like 2009 is the year to have in regards to minimal problems. I think I have had it for 4 years now. It is my daily driver outside of summer. The car has given me no problems. Gas mileage is decent. Probably in the low 20's. You do not need a special scanner-just a regular OBDII one.
I cannot speak the ML350. My wife has a x164. We had a few w163's. If you need the extra space, it is nice to have.

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
Lot of factors to compare.
ML has less advanced options, than E class, therefore less things to break.
When E class is assembled in Europe, ML is assembled in Alabama (?)
Than early 350 engines had weak balance shaft, so make sure you will not get 1 from bad serie.
Bottom line - both are Mercedes Benz cars and you can expect good reliability, unless you are not DIY and start taking vehicle to shops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Kajtek1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing