Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the 2. They both have roughly same miles. They are close in money, the g550 a few thousand less. They are both cpo, the 09 will have about 1.5 years more warranty.

Question,

what are the changes 08-09? I have heard the 7g transmission is crap and unreliable. Does the 09 have it fixed? The power is nice but i have other fast cars. really the reliability is a big thing and I like warranty. I am worried that the 7 speed is crap and would be willing to go to a g55 if that is the more reliable choice. Any help would be appreciated.

We have a high mileage 04 and i plan to keep it for a long time. The 04 has been very reliable. I hope our next one can be the same

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
my G550 has tons of power and it rides so much better then the G55. If I where you I would get the G550. It will also be a bit better on gas. I have had no issues with the 7 speed tranny and you get a longer warranty!

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 7 speed transmission has been known to go bad with under 50K miles. A friend of mine had his go south in his GL. Not sure if they have improved the design to handle the torque. I have driven the '09 G550 and is is a nice setup. There are improvements in the dash / Comand instruments in '09 like steering angle, altimeter, and compass.

The G55 retained the 5 speed tranny throughout its production (now over) due to its better reliability. The '08 models had a heated windsheild which is nice although I am not positive this was consistent for the G55 like in the G500. Both are great cars, the G550 may be a better offroader if you do not want to get into redoing the suspension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts