Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 e350 sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the transmission pan is removed after draining as much fluid as possible ( including dislodging the white colored standpipe) how much fluid will it be in qts?
4,5, 6 qts?

·
Registered
E63AMG, SLK32AMG, Ferrari 348 Spider, R350 Bluetec, Eagle Talon TSI/AWD, Jeep CJ7, Smart EV
317 Posts
9.7 quarts is the dry fill rating, but you'll never get it all out. If you have a drain plug on the torque converter, turn it to face down and drain it too.

Drain pan holds about half the dry fill rating.

J

·
Registered
2009 e350 sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a while back I drained the torque converter ( yes there is drain plug for this purpose) I also dropped the pan changed the filter ,standpipe gaskets and bolts. I pumped up 9 quarts into the system, maybe a bit more , IIRC then drained when the tranny fluid with an adapter once the temperature was about 45 c, approx 113f. Now I am thinking of maybe just doing a drain and fill procedure , renewing the various parts as well, so I am just wondering how much to expect to drain out. My thinking is just measuring what drains out and fill with the same quantity of new fluid. Comments?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,872 Posts
When you have the fill tube attached it lets you know when it is full by spilling fluid out from the fill valve.
That is the way I have been doing 7g transmissions with no issues using the Assenmacher toll for the fill valves.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,216 Posts
You did the drain/fill in the past, so don't you remember the amount?
When measuring drained fluid for refill is always good idea, you still should overfill it and then drain at 45C like manual says.
Meaning adding a pint more than drained, assuming you had no leaks.

·
Registered
2009 e350 sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the first time I did the procedure I did not measure how much drained out from the pan alone and thanks for the tip to overfill and drain at 45C. Thats sounds like a better idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts