Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was driving and dodging rocks from the car in front of me on the highway, then all of a sudden, my car starts to vibrate very intensely as if I were driving over the lane bumps. The vibration got progressively louder Turned into a cracking noise. Once I pulled to the side of the road there were clouds of smoke protruding from my engine and the car would not move but the cracking/vibrating continued as I tried to pull a little closer to the shoulder lane. It seem as if only the rear tires were moving and the front did nothing but create a loud banging noise. Oil leaked from the front and rear axle all over the ground. I’ve only had this car for a month and a half and it seems as if this is the end of the car’s life already.

If you guys have any assistance on what possibly went wrong, I’d love to hear feedback. I am currently waiting to hear back from insurance to see if they would even cover this.

Thanks a bunch,
Nic

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,873 Posts
Not certain, but my first guess would be a failed transfer case. Whatever it was, it won't be simple or cheap.

Do all of your tires have the same rolling diameter? A mismatch between front and rear can cause major damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts