Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 ML350 with P0016 and P0017 codes (New-P0521)

Hello all,

I have a 2008 ML350 with 128,000 miles at about three weeks ago the the check engine light came on while driving on the freeway, a soon as I arrived home I scanned the car for codes and came up with P0016 and P0017. I asked my dealer about the codes and to see if mine had a bad balanced shaft but they said that there was no way for them to know. So I ran my VIN number and seems like mine is not affected. I put in all four new Cam Magnets but the codes are still there--sometimes the check engine light does not come on. I am still driving it as is and seems to be running fine. I also just took it to a 600 mile drive and everything seem normal, it did feel a little slow on hills but other than that everything was fine. Do you guys think I should change all four Cam shaft position sensor this time and see if that takes care of the problem?. I also check the holes where the position sensor go and the circles seem to b on the center.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Anyway to scan the car? I'd lean towards the sensors, but which one?
Not useful to throw $ on sensor replacement without some confidence that's the cure.
Might try measuring the sensors to see if there's a difference between them.

Skippy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help

I used the Torque app with my phone, but I cleared the codes this morning. I will scan it again as soon as the check engine light comes back on. I remember it said bank 1 position A and Position B, but i will let you know as a soon as I scan it again. Also how do you measure the sensor?
Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just scanned the car again and now a new code is present (P0521) 16 and 17 do not show up but I'm sure they will reappear. I attached some images of the results using the Torque App with my phone. Any more ideas of what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
you need a balance shaft or timing chain has stretched. you can't go by eng numbers. We have done several outside the MB so called bad batch. We have done a 10 model, a few 09 and several 08 models.

or remove front cover completely. put crank on 40 degrees. to gear marks line up with edge of head. if not than a worn shaft or stretched chain could be the culprit.

someone with a bore scope can look at gear thru right side head to see what the teeth look like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you vortec... Does anyone know of a good mechanic that can work oon this car that is close to sacramento ca.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
you need a balance shaft or timing chain has stretched. you can't go by eng numbers. We have done several outside the MB so called bad batch. We have done a 10 model, a few 09 and several 08 models.

or remove front cover completely. put crank on 40 degrees. to gear marks line up with edge of head. if not than a worn shaft or stretched chain could be the culprit.

someone with a bore scope can look at gear thru right side head to see what the teeth look like.
I have a 2011 Mercedes e350 with code P0016 DTC 1208. I replaced crank sensors and all 4 magnetics. Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You have a few decent shops there, including Franks and Elios. I would check at the dealer first, though. If it is the balance shaft (huge bill), MB may credit you something. There was a deal made a few years back, but I don’t remember the details.

·
Registered
267 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts