Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '08 ML63 to the dealership today to take advantage of the No Charge Tire Rotation before 6500 miles (my car detailer on Sunday pointed out how worn my front tires were compared to the rear!) My Service Advisor told me that Mercedes issued a recall for the 2008 ML (maybe it affects the 06 and/or 07 too, but since mine is an '08, he told me my car is affected). It has something to do with rear electrics (rear hatch, lights, interior lights, brake lamps....). Honestly, he didn't seem too informed on the matter, but did show me that my vehicle is affected. He said a part has to be replaced, and some sort of software upgrade will be done, and it takes at least 3 hours. I have an appt. to have it done on Friday. I've noticed NO problems at all, and he said that the majority of cars are not having the problems. I guess Mercedes has noticed it though, and wants to stay ahead of the problems. My SA said that Mercedes' big goal is to never live thru another dark reliability period like they had from 2000-2006, so they take no chances. Back to the tires...I was told that AMG models normally only get about 10k-12k miles on the tires, where a non-AMG model can get up to 30k miles (even more). Looks like in about 5000 miles, I'm going to have a VERY expensive tire bill. Sucks!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Sorry....

about your tires..but thanks for the head's up on the recall.................

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Recalls are for safety concerns only, are coordinated with the government, and you receive official notification in the mail.

What this dealer has is a dealer technical bulletin (DTB) which he is supposed to perform only when receiving a customer complaint.

That's pretty vague, however, and they are doing you a favor. Doing themselves a favor, too, because MBUSA pays them to perform this work as long as you're under warranty. The story would be a little different were you past your warranty period.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the SA used the word Recall, but this is a DTB I'm pretty certain. Sure, the dealership gets paid, but they could have also waited for me to have a problem, and then do the DTB. I'm pleased they took it upon themselves to admit there was a potential problem, and to offer a solution before I had issues.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Yeah, the SA used the word Recall, but this is a DTB I'm pretty certain. Sure, the dealership gets paid, but they could have also waited for me to have a problem, and then do the DTB. I'm pleased they took it upon themselves to admit there was a potential problem, and to offer a solution before I had issues.
If you don't have "issues" there's nothing for the dealer to do.

Replacing the parts when they are not malfunctioning constitutes fraud on the part of the dealer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The only thing i've seen on the 164 that affects brake lights is a bulletin about doing a repair to the lamp housing. Mercedes has a problem with the light sockets burning up and it says "brake lamp out, substitute on." So, we have to look up the code and print out a short test for warranty. The actual modification that is done to the truck is new bulb sockets that we solder wires to and then drill into the housing and screw down. This bulletin applies to ML, GL, and R classes.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The only thing i've seen on the 164 that affects brake lights is a bulletin about doing a repair to the lamp housing. Mercedes has a problem with the light sockets burning up and it says "brake lamp out, substitute on." So, we have to look up the code and print out a short test for warranty. The actual modification that is done to the truck is new bulb sockets that we solder wires to and then drill into the housing and screw down. This bulletin applies to ML, GL, and R classes.
Yeah, coincidentally, I just had that performed yesterday. I was getting the error message for months. Last time it was in they couldn't find the issue. Glad there is an official bulletin ouot now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tires -

I got about 14,000 miles on my first set of Conti's (one rotation) Inflated the second set of Conti's with nitrogen and got 19,000 miles (three rotations).

In other words, rotate, rotate, rotate!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got about 14,000 miles on my first set of Conti's (one rotation) Inflated the second set of Conti's with nitrogen and got 19,000 miles (three rotations).

In other words, rotate, rotate, rotate!
Yeah, I think with this car I'm going to have to rotate every 3k miles. I've honestly never kept a car long enough in the past 5 years to even think about tires. I've been known to switch cars every 6-9 months :) :( I my 15 or so plus cars, I've only kept one car 4 years (a 2000 SL500, which was a great car btw!). I'm going to consider switching to Nitrogen). Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the "Recall" done yesterday. It is officially called: Open Campaign 164/251 SAM # 2008110009. They had my car most of the day (10am-5pm), but they gave me and paid for a 2008 C300 Sport. Actually a great car. Not a huge fan of the way all the interior plastics feel, but I think I'm just used to my ML63 having everything wrapped in Nappa Leather (dash, doors, center console...) For the $ though, I think the new C-Class feels better than the BMW 3 Series. The C300 was strong, quiet and the build quality was really high!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Nitrogen scam

I'm going to consider switching to Nitrogen).
Nitrogen will not reduce tread wear, which is the typical reason for tires wearing out. What nitrogen will do is escape from the tire about 50% slower than air (from the studies I've seen). This is not a factor if you check and adjust your air pressures on a reasonable schedule (e.g., once a month). It is purported that nitrogen will not oxidize the inside of the tire as fast as air, but this is such a slow process that physical wear will claim the tire first, and the outside of the tire is subject to more oxidation from the sun and atmosphere.

Nitrogen is used in racing tires to reduce pressure fluctuations due to potential steam build up at very high temps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts