Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 ML 320 CDI with continental 107H's. 255 50 19. I have 20,000 miles on the car and needed to replace one tire last week after the sidewall got damaged. I have read alot about the repercussions on having tires with different wear patterns and sidewall height (even if they are the same make and model) on an AWD vehicle. I am not really sure if i should replace the other three tires or leave it the way it is. the tire place i went to said the other three tires have around 15000 miles left on them. any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
463 Posts
It is, of course, not optimal to have tires with uneven wear patterns however, it will be fine.

As long as the tires are the same model, you'll be fine even with one tire having more tread. I recommend you place the new tire on one of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Buy one tire, use the spare to match it, and use the other tire with 20,000 miles as the spare. Use both new tires on either the front or the back. This will buy you time for a change later for all four, or continue to replace two at a time.

Another option, buy all new now and have a matched set. Or buy 3, add the spare, use one of the replaced tires as a spare - you will still have a full matched set.

Using the spare relegates you to using the spare's brand and model.

It's a bugger when you lose a tire with only about half its life gone.

Jim W.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts