Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 E430, 99 E320, 97 E300, 95 E300, 93 300D, 92 300SD, 89 560SEL, 76 300D, 76 240D plus about30 more
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been search for an answer to this problem for 2 days but as of yet have not found anything to really go on. I just bought a 2008 GL320 CDI a couple of days ago and have been ready the manuals etc to figure it out. My problem I have is the GPS shows my location about a mile or so from where I actually am, and it wont navigate because its always in the wrong spot. I look at the compass screen and it shows to be picking up anywhere from 5 to 8 sats and shows coordinates. It almost seems to me like something needs to be reset or recalibrated. I thought maybe pulling the fuse for it might reset it but I do not see a fuse on the fuse chart for GPS or Comand. I can only find one for radio system, compass module, sat radio, antenna. I pulled all these for a few minutes and it made no difference. Could it be as simple as needing an updated DVD? The original one that came with the car is what is installed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Aside from this and trying to figure out how to bluetooth my phone I LOVE this GL. I have owned and currently owned MANY MB diesels but this is by far the newest I have owned and have a lot of learning to do. Also, i do have the SDS laptop system, thought maybe there was something to be done using that to straighten this out.

·
Registered
99 E430, 99 E320, 97 E300, 95 E300, 93 300D, 92 300SD, 89 560SEL, 76 300D, 76 240D plus about30 more
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing I noticed when pointing east, the compass says I am point north, when going north it says Im going SW etc. So the compass is off too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
My bet is on the GPS antenna/connection being bad. This same cause could also be behind the compass problems. Probably worth a trip to a dealer for a diagnostic to see of the star computer shows a problem (it should show up a bad antenna OR connection if that's the problem.
re the bluetooth - do you have a M-B 'puck' installed in the console box? If not, that is what you need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am supposed to take it in next week to have it looked at. Before I bought it the dealer supposedly repaired the suspension where it was sagging on the RF, I notice it is still doing it so they are going to fix it again They are also going to look at the GPS all under a 30 day warranty. In the mean time, I might hook my SDS up to it and see what it says. Where is the antenna connections for the GPS? Is it in the compartment under the left rear seat? The only reason I am not sure about the antenna problem is because it does say it is pickup up anywhere from 6-8 sats, so in my mind that must mean the connection is good, but who knows. As for the bluetooth, yes it does have the puck or whatever you call it in the arm rest comparment. Just cant figure out how to get it to pair up. I figured pushing the button on the puck would allow the phone to see it, but so far that has not worked.

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
There is a simple procedure for pairing the phone but it's been so long since I did it I forget what it is. Any Mercedes dealer (service advisor or parts dept) should be able to explain the procedure over the phone and give you the 'secret' code. [The code is really simple but I still forget what it is.] The whole thing is explained on a small piece of paper that came with the Mercedes puck I bought on Ebay.
Regarding the sat errors- if the dealer says its the head unit that has to be replaced, look into one of the aftermarket units at an auto electronics store such a CarToys. Pioneer or Kenwood offer units that are head and shoulders more user friendly that ANYTHING that Mercedes makes! I have found that the COMAND system really sucks when I try to use it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Off the top of my head... pairing instructions for Bluetooth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

1. Turn ignition on and set COMAND to TEL mode
2. Open top of armrest and press either the "BLUETOOTH" word (at the rear of the new style black puck) or press the MB star (at the front of the old style silver puck)
3. Car is now in pairing mode. Search for devices on your cell and wait till it shows up.
4. Enter top secret code on your phone :) The code is the numerical digits for 'MBUSA' (easy to remember). So the code is 62872

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like what I would have said if I had remembered! -- I DO recall the MBUSA thing now.
I don't recall pressing either the "bluetooth" or star but I think, on mine there was a small unobtrusive button on the front or side of the puck. If I were the OP and I saw a button on the buck, anywhere, I'd press it and see what happens after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts