Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased preowned 2008 e550. Trying to figure out all the features of this very fun to drive car. There is a stalk on the steering column that appears to be for voice control, but nothing happens when I try to use it. I can find very little about it in the owners manual and comand manual. Anybody have any ideas about this?

Also on a side note I find it unbelievable that I cannot enter an exact street number into the nav, only a range of numbers. Other than that this car is awesome.

·
Registered
03 E500, 05 RX330, 03 3.2 TL, 08 911 Carrera, 05 745Li
53 Posts
its for bluetooth talk...I dont think theres a voice recognition?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
A push-pull stalk on the right side of the steering column is for voice control. No stalk is necessary for Bluetooth. Try pulling the stalk toward you briefly, and say "Help." If you voice control is functioning, you should hear it offer you a menu, starting with a list of which item you wish to control.

And unfortunateky the inability to enter a specific street number is a real irritant with the MB nav system.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My E-Class is much older that yours but I have Voice Recognition too. In 2001 there was a separate booklet explaining the various functions. Mine was missing and I found it on eBay (MB said out of print in 2005) but yours is new enough you can probably order one from MB. As mentioned you can ask it to help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, this is what I thought, it is for voice recognition. BUT, when I push/pull the stalk nothing happens. No beep, no menu/voice, nothing. Could this mean that my car is not equipped, or is it just not functioning correctly? If you have the stalk, should the voice control be there? Thanks.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Your dealer can check the Vehicle Data card (run a Vehicle Master Inquiry) and tell you if the option was included on your car. Through '06, a car ordered without voice control did not have the stalk.

In normal function in my '05 W220, pulling the stalk toward me will result in a beep and an on-screen display of available commands; pushing it away results in a spoken "Cancel."

Have you checked fuses?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts