Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service indicator said I was due for a Service D. I didn't have my manual on hand and I did a brief internet search and could not find what it was (I didn't spend too much time on it :p). I took it to the dealership and, in the interest of helping other lazy people like myself, here it is.

Service D = Service B + Brake Fluid Exchange

Service B = Oil/Filter Change + Fluid top-off + Pollen Filter Change + Various checks

In Iowa City, dealer charged $262 for Service B and $86 for Brake Fluid Exchange. So, Service D cost ~$350 plus tax. Took about two hours.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My service indicator said I was due for a Service D. I didn't have my manual on hand and I did a brief internet search and could not find what it was (I didn't spend too much time on it :p). I took it to the dealership and, in the interest of helping other lazy people like myself, here it is.

Service D = Service B + Brake Fluid Exchange

Service B = Oil/Filter Change + Fluid top-off + Pollen Filter Change + Various checks

In Iowa City, dealer charged $262 for Service B and $86 for Brake Fluid Exchange. So, Service D cost ~$350 plus tax. Took about two hours.

I hope this helps someone.
Thanks for sharing! My next service due is Service D, but thankfuly not for about another 10 months :) Good to know that Service D is around $350 with $86 for the brake fluid change.

Do we need to also change the transmission fluid at 40K miles or something like that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i don't think you need to take your car back to the dealership for maintenance b/c of the warranty. You will need an invoice from the indy shop for each service you did for future proof.
Just an FYI, leases here must be serviced from a short list of authorized dealers. Hopefully it doesnt matter but check to make sure you dont screw yourself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for sharing! My next service due is Service D, but thankfuly not for about another 10 months :) Good to know that Service D is around $350 with $86 for the brake fluid change.

Do we need to also change the transmission fluid at 40K miles or something like that?
Change the oil and service the tranny. Do that and you'll be fine. Filter out and do yourself the easy stuff from the A,B,C,D, etc services. Dont pay for that BS! MB dealer tells me 40k and flush on the tranny.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My last car was a 2000 E320

I never did any of the recommended maintenance with the exception of oil and filter change and wear items like breaks. I traded in the car at 125,000 still going strong.

When I went to the dealer with the E350 due for a D service they wanted $485.00. I didn't do it, just the oil change.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I never did any of the recommended maintenance with the exception of oil and filter change and wear items like breaks. I traded in the car at 125,000 still going strong.

When I went to the dealer with the E350 due for a D service they wanted $485.00. I didn't do it, just the oil change.
Glad I didn't buy your car :)

·
Registered
5,422 Posts

Strong thread revival! At least it was a thank you...

But wow yeh...glad I didn't buy yours. Brakes, transmission, air filters...doubt it'll go another 125k since the guy treated it like disposable item.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hij again. I bought a used Mercedes e200 year 2004 last 3 month. Saw that msg service D 5,630 km. Not sure what is service D until I saw post here. Is there other alphabet for the service and mean what? Can help? Cheers

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Check your maintenance manual for required service.
The alphabets refer to the number of hours required for maintenance
A= 1hr
B= 2 Hrs
C= 3Hrs
D=4 Hrs
And so on
I may be off by 1 but hopefully you get the idea

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi My mercedes E 350 2008 said i need to do service D .
What this service includes and how much they charge in Miami for this service?

·
Purple Moderator
21,635 Posts
If you look at the first post in the thread that is what they will do.

I have no idea what they are charging in FL for this. Call local dealers for pricing.
You will probably find a range of prices.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Actually, these maintenances (Service D and E) can easily be done by the home DIY'er. How do I know? Because I did 'em on my '05 E320 CDI. :)

Engine oil changes on any Mercedes-Benz W211 are easy, even easier than on a 1990's Honda Civic. Yeah, seriously, easier than a Civic. It's the same process for W203's, W204's, W211's, and W220's (I've done all four). Remember to get a new crush washer for your oil pan's drain plug, along with the new oil and filter; crush washers are cheap and plentiful (M14, a.k.a. 14mm).

Brake fluid flush, also easy. Start from the right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. You don't have to turn off SBC to do this; I call my neighbor or my wife to press the brake pedal when needed. Turns out the old-school way works just as well as using SDS. Takes about half an hour, start to finish.

The pollen filter takes maybe two minutes to replace, if you're slow. :)

Transmission fluid, I change on my M-B's either at time of purchase, or ever 40,000 miles. I do a the full exchange method, along with the filter, using the method of trans dipstick and opening the return line on its way to the trans housing (I have the five-speed). The 7-speeds use a somewhat different process, and a special (but inexpensive) tool is required, but either way, it's not too hard to do. Seriously, it's not.

Check your windshield washer fluid, coolant, and so on, and top off as needed.

That's about what the E Service is. It's the same service that ought to be done on any car, of any era. Not only do I save hundreds of dollars, but I know it's done right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
cowboyt
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing