Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this problem several times since I purchased the car last year. It's been "fixed" 3 and goes in for 4th time tomorrow.

I have searched high and low for other threads with related problem, but onyl found two from a long time ago and nobody responded.

Description:

Rear seat release in trunk feels as if no resistance and in fact ther eis none, so rear seat won't release to fold down.

Issue:

Rear seat latch has a little metal detent bar encased in plastic that sits across latch horizontally and allows seat side of latch (centered ring) to push on the bar and depress both sides of latch and therefore rotate latch mechanism and engage lock to centered ring.

This little metal detent bar is not mechanical attached, it just sits in place - POOR DESIGN - and it constantly falls to a position such the the bar rotates 90 degrees and therefore doesn't allow the center ring to depress the latch side bars and there fore, no release of lock when pulling lever.

First repair:

Dealer just repositioned detent bar after it fell out and I saved it.

Second repair:

Dealer used black sticky putty to hold loose bar in place - FAIL.

Third repair:

Dealer replaced only driver side latch because that's the only side I complained about. Noe both don't work and even the new latch has failed again.

Fourth repair:

Goes to dealer tomorrow for Service A and this repair again.

For your reference:

No, I rarely use the seat latch. In fact, I have used it about 6 times, 4 of which resulted in failure and require service. This is not an issue of over or improper use.

I believe the latch to have a faulty design. The little bar should be mechanically mounted to the two latch bars it is meant to depress.

Anyway, I am writing in the hopes that someone else has seen/experienced/resolved this specific problem. If you might be able to help etc. I can takes pictures, make diagrams etc. to help aid in understanding.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,510 Posts
If VIN is below B265418 reference DTB P-B-91.12/155 to SA – both left & right back-rest lock covers (contains integral spring) should be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome. i will definitely do so. That is exactly the issue and i wonder why they didn't just replace both when they had the chance.

by the way, just got off phone with MB USA? after i filed an online customer service request. They were quick to get to me and the guy I spoke with said he is callign the dealer to speak directly to the service advisor and the manager that I spoke with last time.

I really just want the car fixed and to work properly, nothing more.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the VIN, maybe that's why they didn't do the replacement until the third time, more specifically, i don't think they replaced with the new parts either.

my vin is .....B270***

I'm still going to bring it up and forward the info to the MB USA contact as well as my service advisor.

Thanks again, this is the exact part that keeps falling out.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
If VIN is below B265418 reference DTB P-B-91.12/155 to SA – both left & right back-rest lock covers (contains integral spring) should be replaced.
My VIN is B 215..., I have no problem with the latch, should I have it replaced? is this a recall?

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a pain in the ass if you use the fold down function of the rear seats and they dont unlock. it can be done by pulling lever and reaching inside and pulling on seat, but that's lame - why they put the latch in the trunk in the first place is odd to me, i guess for some sort of security?

anyway, do you use your fold down seats often? i use mine about 3-4 times a year when i have to transport my dogs long distances. otherwise they aren't allowed in this car and i take my truck. but without fail, it happens every time and its SUPER annoying on a $55,000 car that seat wont fold down!!!!

i guess if yous is working, then, no harm no foul - but mine isn't working :(

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,510 Posts
My VIN is B 215..., I have no problem with the latch, should I have it replaced? is this a recall?
This is not a recall but rather Dealer Technical Bulletin covered under factory or extended warranty therefore unless you are experiencing problems more than likely part replacement will not be approved.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guy at MB seemed on top of things and a bit perturbed car has to go back a 4th time and very bothered by "putty" fix on the second go around.

I did tell him I am concerned that dealer hadn't fixed both sides considering they both have the same problem but I had only specified the right being broken at the time of warranty repair so dealer said left is now out of warranty.

Anyway, it goes tomorrow morning for Service A and this latch issue, so I will let you know. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

The good:

MB called dealer and advised to "good will" both latches. Dealer provided loaner car at no charge. My car should be ready today.

The bad:

Turns out that when they replaced just the one latch last time, they did replace under above listed DTB. The service advisor clearly stated though, they have no other option at this time but to replace again. They are replacing both latches with same replacement as last time, so no real fix for the issue, just new parts.

Just curious, if this continues, what are my options? This assumption is of course if it's even worth doing anything at all based on the fact it's only a seat latch.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,510 Posts
if this continues, what are my options?
I find it interesting that other members are not complaining of this problem. Did SA comment that others have complained about this? Anyway, MBUSA covers this repair for 12 months/unlimited mileage so if either side should fail again within this period replacement is free.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I also find it interesting that this isn't happening to others.

No comment by SA, Manager, or MB Agent on this problem existing.

I can't figure it out myself. I swear I only use the fold down seats once in a while and it happens after every use. I suspect it happens when seat is down, during driviing? and then when I close the seat, I don't pay attention (i Will now) if the bar is properly placed still, then, it gets stuck,. But why is it happening is the issue.

From now on I'm going to be diligent and get photos every time, including when I pick up today. I am also going to note date and number of times I use seat in case it breaks again.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the photos from the second visit and required third. As you can see, the photos clearly show the problem.

1. shows bar in place.

This pic also shows that the bar is barely held in place from two little plsatic pieces stickign down from top "cap". ypou can also see the lower plastic is damaged from when the bar rotates out of place and actually making problem worse because now its loose.

2. shows what it looks like after bar is removed or fallen out

3. a pic showing the putty when it was "fixed" the second time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BOTH seat latch covers - just the plastic housing - were replaced at no charge. I'm happy they replaced but really a CURE would be preferred as this has already been done once. I expect this problem to continue and ultimately just a PITA and force me to rarely use the fold down seats.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz E350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

So the service manager calls me today because he sees a post my girlfriend left on yelp. He asks how the latch is working and I say "Honestly I haven;t tried to use since the last repair." But I am almost home so I tell him I will go ahead and check it, surprise surprise, driver side failed, passenger side worked while he was on the phone.

He says to stop by tomorrow and have a team leader take a look at the issue. I happened to be going that way tomorrow anyway so I will stop by.

I wonder at what point they just decide the latch is prone to failure due to design flaw and they FIX the problem instead of just continually replacing the flawed part.

I do find it hard to believe that I am the only one with this issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts