Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GL450 Black; 2008 E350 4MATIC; 2003 SL-500 Aegean Blue
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Indianapolis and this will be my first winter here. I have a job where I HAVE to be at work regardless of the weather. Although it is mostly highway driving, I do have a few inner roads between my house and the highway. I leave for work at 5AM and I worry that I may be out there before the plows.

I'm due for new tires and I'm faced with the option of getting a set of snow tires or simply replacing my current OEMs.

Has anyone here driven in a snowy winter in a 4MATIC with both snow tires and all-seasons? Any noticeable difference?

·
Registered
2010 E550 4Matic P2, Pano, Parktronic, driver assist(wife)
159 Posts
Of course, snow tires are a big difference from an all weather type tire, but if you buy snow tires now you will still need to buy all weather tires in the spring?

Indy isn't that crazy of a snow town and I'm sure an all weather tire will be just fine with your 4Matic. Every time I run into an issue getting anywhere in Chicago with my 4 Matic it is because of a traffic backup due to causes beyond my immediate control. Even the best snow tires will not make up for other dummies on the road. I have had all 4 snow tires on other cars, but they have all been rear drive only. A brand new set of all weather tires should get you anywhere you need to go this winter unless you are plowing through 3 foot drifts, and if that is the case your snow tires will be worthless as well. :)

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Get snow tires and summer tires. The best of both worlds.

4Matic will only help your car move but it won't help you stop. The snow tires will give you traction to stop in shorter distance and allow you to steer away from trouble. Not able to stop because of the lack of grip can be a frightening experience.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
Or give the Nokian WR G2 tires a try. They are all season and have the full snow rating
on them. I have them on the ML and the W211. No more switching wheels seasonally
and the wet weather grip is impressive. Wear is also quite good.
It is the highest rated tire in its class for snow.

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
I've heard Nokian AS can be very noisy from the aggressive tread and wears fast with the softer compound. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
The WRG2 greatly improves on those aspects.

They used to have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, not sure if they still do. If they do
then if the are too noisy they can be returned. They are quieter than the Contis I had
on before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts