Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My E350 4Matic just died at 800 miles and had to be towed to the dealer today. I was doing some shopping and upon return the car won't start. I pressed the start button but the engine was shaking and sounding very weird. The "check engine" message came on and I couldn't get any power from the engine. I called Roadside Assistance and they dispatched a tow truck. The gearshift was stuck at "park" and therefore the tow guy had to drag the car on 4 wheels to the flatbed with a hydraulic cable (very damaging for 4Matic!).

I'm now stuck without my car for the long weekend and can't talk to the dealer until Tuesday at the earliest. This is ridiculous for a brand new MB to die at just 800 miles. What recourse do I have other than getting it fixed under warranty? Is there any way to ask the dealer to exchange the vehicle because I don't trust it anymore, especially after witnessing all that dragging, pulling and dropping on a brand new car by the tow truck while it was stuck on "park". The suspension and alignments didn't quite look the same when I examined the car on the dealer's parking lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
Why on earth did they tow it with gear at Park? If you were able to start (or attempt to start), you or the flat bead guy should have been able to set the car on N. Even if EIS was faulty, your user manual explains how to force the gear selector to neutral. Since you are so picky with the car (nothing bad with that), I would have expected you to be familiar with the user manual and could have explained things to a dummy towing guy.

Now difficult to say what went wrong with the engine but it certainly was not a wear issue at 800 miles, such a part failure could then happen at 1 mile or 100 000+ miles, it is better that it happened while you it will be fixed under warranty. Of course unfortunate that you had this part in the first place, this should be really unlikely to happen. Considering the original issue, changing to another car would not make things any better, if there was one part to fail, you've found it now. The new car may still have it.

Considering the towing issue, you should talk about it with your dealer and let them check for all possible damage (the towing company would be responsible for that). Note that towing a 4-Matic for a short distance at low speed as such would not be anything bad for the car.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
the dealer isnt going to exchange your vehicle just cause at 800 miles the car died. issues happen and parts fail. it happens all the time. and they arent expecially going to replace it if the tow truck driver dragged your car onto the truck. that isnt there fault. it is on the tow company. my dealer uses a specific tow company for MB owners who have general knowledge of the car. the e class you have to remove the shifter cover and release the car from park.

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is on a lease with MBF. Will they let me terminate the current lease early with minimum penalty if I trade-up to a more expensive model like the CLS?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts