Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the forum and I have a question, I own a 2011 E350 which has about 140k miles on it. It has been basically troublefree, only thing that was not routine maintenance was failure of engine/transmission mount that cost $1200 to replace. I hate that I didn’t get the E550 for the additional power and I’m about to purchase an 08 CLS. It has 132k on the clock and has been sitting for 4 yrs, I had Indy Benz mechanic go over it and he said it’s solid and needs only a part on the auto level system and it has an oil leak, to fix both it’s $1700 & he said neither required immediate attention. What type of maintenance can I expect from this car? Will it cost a lot more to operate than my E350? Is it smart buying it with current mileage. All the car reviews I’ve read on the CLS by owners were high, everyone loved them. Thanks!!

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
412 Posts
Rick, welcome and I'm surprised he didn't recommend replacing fuel lines, fuel tank drain, etc. Usually transmission seals on any car will shrink within six months or so of no driving. Also, the airmatic suspension system is the only thing specific to the CLS that will be guaranteed to need replacing (one strut bellow will pop like a gunshot one day and the car will sink). It may be years, but mine is an '07 with 97,000 miles and I had one replaced three years ago (high 70-80k miles at the time). MB recommends replacing them in pairs, but the dealership said it wasn't necessary (depending on the dealer, it may be $1,800-$2,700 per strut to replace). Some individuals swear that once one is replaced, it doesn't quite appear to sit even on each respective side under close inspection--this could be why MB recommends replacing in pairs. An indy shop may be ok with using the OE brand version Arnott, which is supposed to be identical, just without the official MB star emblem.

Otherwise, it is a modified/top chopped E-class chassis (more w211 based), and shares numerous parts with that series. Sometimes the oil level sensor can go bad on both, indicating the need to top off when it is still fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts