Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1995 SL 320, 2008 CLK 350
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive 6000 miles a year.
Last year the car was at the dealers for an A-service at 20,000 miles and $260.
The computer bugged me for another service at 26,000 miles (or 1 year).
According to the maintenance booklet that would be a B-service, basically an A-service with a few extras.
Since the car is under warranty until March 2013 I thought it best to have it done, though this time I went to a independent garage specializing in M-B and other German cars.
According to the maintenance booklet the next service is due at 39,000, ergo 12,000 miles to go.
Garage guy says to come back next year,same time, 6000 miles later for a oil and filter change, never mind what the booklet says.
I use Mobil 1 oil that lasts a long time and the booklet says 12,000 miles next time. I suspect he is snowing me.
On top of it all, I gave him 8 quarts to fill the engine, which he had drained from the plug, not 8-1/2 (which is full capacity with filter) as I do not like to fill all the way up. Guess what? The dipstick is 2-3mm beyond the max mark, and now I am wondering how he did this, with only 8 quarts ??
Question #1: Do I change oil every 6000 miles (1 year)as he says or 12000(every 2 years)as the booklet says?
Question #2: Do I drain some of the oil off to keep the level below the max mark or do I leave it as is ? Am I being too Germanic about this ?
Is the present level not that much to worry about ?

· Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,445 Posts
You should change it as indicated by MBZ, which is every 12K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Also, you should check the level with the oil warm and the oil is to be changed with the engine at operating temperature. I would not run it with too much oil. Also, I prefer to use the top-side suction method to remove the old oil instead of draining it from beneath, but that's just a me; there is nothing wrong with draining it and in fact that's what MBZ recommends on the M272 engine. When I change the oil in my C240 and CLK550, both end up needing about 8.5 quarts to refill. Oh, and use a (synthetic) fleece filter. Mann is the OEM.

· Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,408 Posts
Question #1: Do I change oil every 6000 miles (1 year)as he says or 12000(every 2 years)as the booklet says?
Question #2: Do I drain some of the oil off to keep the level below the max mark or do I leave it as is ?
My take on this, as I have a similar situation wrt annual mileage.

Q1. Change oil every 12k miles. Motor oil is not like milk - it doesn't go bad inside the engine, over time!
Q2. 3mm over will not harm anything, rest assured!

After your MB warranty expires, consider DIY the A & B services. Anyone with a basic toolset should be able to manage this. There are posts in the forum stickies to show you the steps.

· Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,408 Posts
post script

I should have said also, to use the 12k mile oilchange period, you must use engine oil to MB spec 229.3 or 229.5 (make sure it is stated on the can) plus the so-called 'fleece' filter. This is actually plastic.

· Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,445 Posts
the so-called 'fleece' filter. This is actually plastic.
I believe the politically-correct term is "synthetic fleece". :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.