Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guysss,,,,

I think i have involved my self into something big !! A friend of mine was showing off with his 330i and how he is used to smoking alfaromeos, mercs and IS250.

By then i couldnt stand it, and i raised a bet that i could take him out in a 0-100km/h drag! as soon as i got home and read his figures,,, i was shocked.

The 330i has the same bhp as my 2008 C280 (3.0 litres and 231 bhp) !!! do u think i have a chance??

Note: i run on 17"s and he runs on 18" (honestly i dont think it will differ as they weigh almost the same :nix:)

help..................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Data for BMW 3 coupes 1998-2002

BMW 325Ci
max.speed 230
acceler. 8.0 sec
170 hp.

BMW 328Ci
max.speed 242
acc. 7.0
193 hp.

BMW 330Ci
max.speed 250
acc. 6,5
230 hp.

Man, I think you dont have any chance :surrender:
BMW engines are more powerful and effective than MB engines.
Still, there are to thing that can help you: this BMW is almost 7 years old and 18 wheels is not the best thing for drag race :D

Looking forward for you race results :):):):);)

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Get the nitrous oxide boost upgrade right away.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
is 330i manual?
if ower of 330i is half descent driver + manual, then you don't stand chance on it.
hm....
even for auto to auto, i still don't think you will have chance. :surrender:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is 330i manual?
if ower of 330i is half descent driver + manual, then you don't stand chance on it.
hm....
even for auto to auto, i still don't think you will have chance. :surrender:
Thank god, its Auto :)

But I think i also stand no chance....last night, i took my 2008 X3 3.0SI for a spin & drag raced a friend of mine (he is driving a C280 2008 same as my second car)... and i kicked him pretty hard... And that made me wonder mercedes benz 0-100 in 7.2s compared to the X3 Auto in 7.5s!!!

The difference was about 1 car and a half till 100 km/h then he began pulling out ,,, but it was too late as the road ended by that time :(

I was happy i kicked his ars,,, but i was also sad when i remembered that the car i have just kicked is my second car :crybaby2:

My concl. is C-class is a beautiful car. However, it is a very heavy car and needs to shed off lots of meat!! 1 more thing,,, launching on 1st gear by using both brakes and gas is a must... apply brakes,press the gas and then remove the brakes... it helps a bit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the fact that the car lost to an X3 just takes away what little hope i had left for my C300. I thought it was weird that my friends 325xi with a rated 0-60 of 7.3 was killing my car with a rated time of 7.1. By as far as 2 car lengths at the end of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the fact that the car lost to an X3 just takes away what little hope i had left for my C300. I thought it was weird that my friends 325xi with a rated 0-60 of 7.3 was killing my car with a rated time of 7.1. By as far as 2 car lengths at the end of it.

Ohh my god!! is it that bad :) !!

I have had enough:bowdown: This car can't be named a sports saloon...I love it though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
For some reason BMW underestimates their acceleration numbers, and it seems MB overestimates. I heard some people who own 335i BMWs are getting more than half a second quicker than the specs say.
Meanwhile, i saw motorweek test a C300 like mine (auto) and get 0-60 in i think 7.8. Which is not very respectable even up against audis and acuras. THough it mght have been a 4matic i dont remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Supposedly, BMW seriously understated the HP of the 335 so as not to compete with the then-current M3. I've read estimates that the actual output is closer to 350hp. If true, I wouldn't be surprised that they understated the 0-60 as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For some reason BMW underestimates their acceleration numbers, and it seems MB overestimates. I heard some people who own 335i BMWs are getting more than half a second quicker than the specs say.
Meanwhile, i saw motorweek test a C300 like mine (auto) and get 0-60 in i think 7.8. Which is not very respectable even up against audis and acuras. THough it mght have been a 4matic i dont remember.
I believe so too. I don't think the C300 can make it to 100 km/h in less than 7.8s by all means... Thats why i bet it with my X3 (0-100 in 7.5s)

Thats a shame from a 3 litres engine!! we need an upgrade asap...

·
Registered
10 Posts
xe

Hey, maybe Egyptian Mercedes couldnt run for 7,2, still my MB C 280 bought in germany accelerates till 100 in 7,1 sec. I used an S mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, maybe Egyptian Mercedes couldnt run for 7,2, still my MB C 280 bought in germany accelerates till 100 in 7,1 sec. I used an S mode.

I am sure u got that 7.1 sec timing on ur swatch :p
I wish u were right!! my friend's C280 was from Germany (same like yours). Moreover, it was running on 98 octane , "S" mode + Tiptronic ... But, he had no chance against my stock 3.0SI X3!! (we raced 3 times)

Sorry man,,, u stand no chance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am sure u got that 7.1 sec timing on ur swatch :p
I wish u were right!! my friend's C280 was from Germany (same like yours). Moreover, it was running on 98 octane , "S" mode + Tiptronic ... But, he had no chance against my stock 3.0SI X3!! (we raced 3 times)

Sorry man,,, u stand no chance!
Sounds like your friend's fuel was an import too :D Where in Egypt do they sell 98 RON?! Wouldn't make any difference though, M272 engines are rated for 95 RON and using higher octane fuel would be money down the drain. However, my C280 does feel slower than my E280 for some reason but the transmission feels smoother on the C. Mercedes acceleration figures apply to base cars, sans extras, with half a tank of fuel, a diminutive driver and ESP off. If I remember correctly you don't need any torque braking off the line and using tiptronic could actually be degrading performance rather than enhancing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL u r right,,, the octane was 95,,, my bad!

I have tried several ways to get the best timing from 0-100 km/h... it seems the following combo is the best:

ESP OFF
Tiptronic Mode Or S (couldnt feel any difference)
Torque braking

One more thing,,,, a friend of mine has the new E280 and i got him by almost 5 meters on a drag race... same engine + smaller car = winning :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank god, its Auto :)

But I think i also stand no chance....last night, i took my 2008 X3 3.0SI for a spin & drag raced a friend of mine (he is driving a C280 2008 same as my second car)... and i kicked him pretty hard... And that made me wonder mercedes benz 0-100 in 7.2s compared to the X3 Auto in 7.5s!!!

The difference was about 1 car and a half till 100 km/h then he began pulling out ,,, but it was too late as the road ended by that time :(

I was happy i kicked his ars,,, but i was also sad when i remembered that the car i have just kicked is my second car :crybaby2:

My concl. is C-class is a beautiful car. However, it is a very heavy car and needs to shed off lots of meat!! 1 more thing,,, launching on 1st gear by using both brakes and gas is a must... apply brakes,press the gas and then remove the brakes... it helps a bit.
- - -
now I have a bit of a strange question, I'm about to buy a new car and am Sooooooo hesitated.. comparing between the C280 and the BMW X3.. need to make up my mind fast and am really confused !.. what do u think?
- - - Both cars are locally assembled in Egypt if this matters :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts