Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a couple of months I've been looking for the place of the "Headlamp range adjustment control module" (N71) in my cabriolet. According with the 2008 and 2016 Star finder, it is in the interior, right fron footwell, but it is not there or even around there, or under the passenger side seat.
Anybody of you can tell me where it is please?

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,815 Posts
Do you know if you have auto-leveling headlights? On USA models, they are included with the with HID/Xenon option. Without that, it is not available. I am not sure what option combinations were available in your country.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mine is coming from Germany with european standards.
It has range adjustments in the front and rear, main lights are factory HID/Xenon system. xenon (low lights) and H11 for High lights, with autobeam level motors.

They have a ballast under the box and a tranformer inside, just that...

I' using now an aftermarket 55W xenon system connected directly to cables at plugs and one of them is off (left side)

Can be too much watts and CAN B system turns off one automatically to compensate?

Thinking that Front SAM is commanding lights directly, I've bought another and installed it, but still have the same problem

Regards

·
18,815 Posts
A failure of a bulb illuminated has nothing to do with the HRA module. That module simply adjusts the angle of the headlights based on the relative angles of the front and rear "axles". If your bulbs are not illuminating, you either have bad bulbs or bad ballasts. Do the OE bulbs/ballasts work? If so, it's the aftermarket stuff that is not working. The SAM does sens current draw to determine if the bulbs are working. For HIDs, it expects 35w, so using a 55w aftermarket system is likely the problem. You could try coding the SAM for halogen bulbs, which are 55w.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Since a couple of months I've been looking for the place of the "Headlamp range adjustment control module" (N71) in my cabriolet. According with the 2008 and 2016 Star finder, it is in the interior, right fron footwell, but it is not there or even around there, or under the passenger side seat.
Anybody of you can tell me where it is please?
I'm sure that rudeney has given you good advice above regarding lamp wattage.

Regarding your original question about N71 location you have been mis-informed by Starfinder, as it is in the rear passenger foot-well.

It looks like a bit of a hassle to reach it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you saying that HRA box A211 870 31 26 just command actuation of both front and rear sensor inclination???
Strange is that when the problem started it has LED lights for low beam and right side didn't turn on, because no currency at yellow cable and now, with 55w HID the one failing is the left, for the same reason (Yellow-black)... What kind of Gremling do you think I have in my CLK ?
Regards

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Nice photo.

Can you unclip the vent grille as shown in the WIS picture, and remove the floor panel? N71 should be underneath that.

Regarding its' operation, from the circuit diagram below I note that axle sensors A51 and A52 are direct wired inputs to the module, and the control output is via the CAN bus at X63/4.

Does your VIN state CODE 615?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My VIN is WDB TK54 F08 TO9 3484, and state code 614 which is bixenon for LHD.
Sorry but I cannot understand you about "Can you unclip the vent grille as shown in the WIS picture, and remove the floor panel? N71 should be underneath that".

The attached WIS picture is a drawing showing circuit related N71. Can be specific about what place of the floor panel? (remembering that you, being in the UK are LHD and I'm RHD).

Regards

·
18,815 Posts
The diagram Keyhole posted is showing the area under the passenger seat. You'd need to remove the seat and the carpet to see it. The vent duct is the rear heat nozzle that sits under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I posted that diagram in base of what Starfinder told me, then I complete naked both sides floor, searching for N71 and could'n find; my floor picture show that there's nothing in the place you indicated, I just cleaned there but not removed anything from the floor before picture it.
Have you any other clue?

Regards

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
My VIN is WDB TK54 F08 TO9 3484, and state code 614 which is bixenon for LHD.
I asked about 615 as it was introduced in 2005 and I wondered if you had that feature. It adds 'integrated curve illumination' so it complicates the lighting system. OK, you had the basic CODE 614.

Regarding LHD/RHD, this term confuses many folks. It is not what side of the road you drive on. It is what side of the car the steering wheel is. So you are LHD in Chile and the UK is RHD.

I cannot further explain the WIS drawing without pulling my car apart. My WIS states that it is shown for 209.4, which is the CLK cabriolet that you have. I am guessing that the Starfinder info is for a different MB model.

Note that the module is shown well below the sill level. MB hide all sorts of stuff under the floor on different models. On the A-class models the fuses are hidden under the floor. Other models have a battery down there!

It is not unusual for 'aftermarket' kit to give trouble, I have noted. Did the factory fitted Bi-Xenons give you a problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, my factory xenon started to fail with the right light (always low beam) and after a couple of months, left was failed. I bought ballast and ignitor for both beams but nothing happened, so shifted to led, direcly to the cable in the end plug and worked fine, but LED light is to low and as a good idea, changed to 55W xenon, but just one is working, if I disconnect the one working, the not working is turning on, so according with Rudeney, 55W is too much current drawing for front SAM; finally shifted to 35W aftermarket xenon, but still one light is on.

Now I have a spare front SAM, a bag of original ballast and ignitors, two 55W xenon D2S system, one 35W Xenon D2S system and 3 D2S LED lights.

And one light on... and ignore where is N71... (Do I have one?)

High beam are working fine with LED from the beginning.

Ah, you are right... the side is given by the place of steering wheel, sorry for my confusion.

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts