Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with this problem. My Sprinter starts easily when cold. It starts easily when hot. It runs well, sounds good, gives good fuel economy and it produces little or no smoke from the exhaust. But when it’s had a run and been turned off for 15 mins it really struggles to start.

It seems to be more of a problem in the summer months when the ambient temperature is higher. I’ve had it in 2 garages and thrown some parts at it but it’s still just the same. It’s had a fuel filter, crank sensor, cam sensor, 2 injectors and a starter motor. The original starter needed replacing due to over use as a result of this problem. I first noticed the problem last summer but it seemed to get better during the winter months and was definitely much better after the new starter. It’s happening more often now as the weather gets warmer and it seems to be more of a problem if the van is parked facing the sun and the cab gets hot. The only fault it ever shows is an occasional ‘Hi’ on the oil level. When ‘Hi’ first appeared after a service I took it back to the garage and they took some oil out. They explained that the new synthetic oil expands and can sometimes cause a ‘Hi’ oil level problem. Despite removing some oil it still shows the ‘Hi’ message every so often, usually during a longer journey when on the motorway. The oil level reads fine on the dipstick but I’m not sure if the ‘Hi’ could somehow be related to my starting problem.

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
20,208 Posts
Can anyone help with this problem. My Sprinter starts easily when cold. It starts easily when hot. It runs well, sounds good, gives good fuel economy and it produces little or no smoke from the exhaust. But when it’s had a run and been turned off for 15 mins it really struggles to start.

It seems to be more of a problem in the summer months when the ambient temperature is higher. I’ve had it in 2 garages and thrown some parts at it but it’s still just the same. It’s had a fuel filter, crank sensor, cam sensor, 2 injectors and a starter motor. The original starter needed replacing due to over use as a result of this problem. I first noticed the problem last summer but it seemed to get better during the winter months and was definitely much better after the new starter. It’s happening more often now as the weather gets warmer and it seems to be more of a problem if the van is parked facing the sun and the cab gets hot. The only fault it ever shows is an occasional ‘Hi’ on the oil level. When ‘Hi’ first appeared after a service I took it back to the garage and they took some oil out. They explained that the new synthetic oil expands and can sometimes cause a ‘Hi’ oil level problem. Despite removing some oil it still shows the ‘Hi’ message every so often, usually during a longer journey when on the motorway. The oil level reads fine on the dipstick but I’m not sure if the ‘Hi’ could somehow be related to my starting problem.
Hope we can get you some help. Can I recommend doing your profile please? Complete your Profile

1 - 2 of 2 Posts