Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have info on possibly adapting a 722.9 7 speed trans to 2007 sl55amg?

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG, 2000 CLK320, 2013 E350
37 Posts
I think HOPSNO is looking for a faster shifting transmission? I think before you do a transmission swap try a new street Valve body by VRP. This modified valve body specifically for the the 722.6 transmission really increases the speed at which the transmission will shift at both normal driving and WOT. I have replaced mine and I am still evaluating it as I have reset my adaptive transmission learn mode. I will do a write up here after I have put a few hundred miles on it. But first impressions is that it shifts as fast or faster than my 722.9 non AMG transmissions, with no TCU tune. If you want to know more about the valve body look on YouTube and search for legitstreetcars, Alex Palmerie. Alex has a good evaluation of two valve bodies for his E55. I feel as if I am getting similar results. I’ll write my evaluation up shortly and share it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 SL550 (R230) and 2012 SClass Designo (W221)
34 Posts
Or maybe OP wants better fuel economy that 7 speed could provide. To me it would be best to leave the paired 5 speed as designed and built. Could be torque issues with something different.

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
833 Posts
I just think the five speed transmission is so much more durable and easier to repair if needed. The one behind my 840 lb/ft monster is holding up just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts