Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2007 s550. I pulled in at the gas station for some gas and once I filled up, I got back in the car and it wouldn't start. You turn the key and nothing happens. Everything in the car is working but it just won't start. It doesn't crank or even try to turn over. Has anyone had this happen to them or can someone give any ideas on what to check for?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,783 Posts
There are several possibilities however we see this more frequently than we want to here in the desert where heat will just kill your battery. Your car has two main batteries and a third under the dash. Check the starter battery under the hood, its only role is to start the engine.

Your scenario played out for me a year ago, just as you indicated. Went to get coffee with my son, returned to the car and no start. All accessories working, radio, A/C blower, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 2007 s550. I pulled in at the gas station for some gas and once I filled up, I got back in the car and it wouldn't start. You turn the key and nothing happens. Everything in the car is working but it just won't start. It doesn't crank or even try to turn over. Has anyone had this happen to them or can someone give any ideas on what to check for?
There are several possibilities however we see this more frequently than we want to here in the desert where heat will just kill your battery. Your car has two main batteries and a third under the dash. Check the starter battery under the hood, its only role is to start the engine.

Your scenario played out for me a year ago, just as you indicated. Went to get coffee with my son, returned to the car and no start. All accessories working, radio, A/C blower, etc.
What did you have to do to fi

What did you have to do to fix the problem?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,783 Posts
What did you have to do to fix the problem?
In my case the starter battery (under the hood) had lost its ability to hold a charge. Measured between the poles it was only showing 10.5V, when not 10 mins earlier it had enough charge in it to start the car. So I replaced the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In this case my battery is fine. I took it out and put it in my other car just to see what would happen and it started the car right up with no problem

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,783 Posts
So, simple things are the least expensive to check. Verify you have power to the starter. If so, then starter/solenoid are suspect. If not, then something is preventing the car from energizing the starter.

If you are of the mind to DIY, I would suggest investing in a Xentry (aka Star or DAS or C3/C4/C5) diagnostics system.There is no substitute for it in my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking to check the starter also. This situation looks the same as when your alarm system disables your starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts