Tubers· Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2015 S550, 2010 E350 P1/P2, 2002 ML320
Thank you Jack! I replaced mine a few months back, just cannot seem to find enough time for the documentation part (pics, details, etc.)Given the difficulty in finding DIY information on this, I'll document this as best I can for the forum.
My lessons learned (2008 S550 2WD);
*** These mounts are full of liquid, when removing them keep your face out from under them or you will get 'moisturized'!
- I used the Harbor Freight engine support bar, not a professional quality tool but it works, just take care where you set the feet. (https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html)
- The drivers' (Left in the US) side mount can be removed from the front, just need to use a pry bar to wedge the engine over toward the passenger's side.
- The passenger's side mount is much more easily removed toward the rear if you detach the sway bar mount at the body frame and swivel the sway bar down
- This is the first Mercedes I've owned where the mount tool seems to actually make a difference. (Example of the tool here -- not my listing, just an example. https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Offset-Engine-Mount-Wrench/dp/B019L7IDU6)
- Tap out the holes in the new mounts with the correct thread prior to installing them. I had one that was burred a bit and it took me an hour of fiddling with trying to get the top bolt in before I figured it out. I removed it, tapped it and had it back in the car and bolted in place within 10min.