Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started this! I was driving the car and after about 30 mins the car lost gear. I would press on gas pedal and it would rev up but wouldn’t move. Put it in reverse nothing same result. Now if I turn off the car let it sit for 5 mins then start it back up it would go into gear and drive normal no noises no grinding everything normal. Then after driving for a bit say 10 mins it would do it again. I did same thing and turn it off and back on and everything was fine. About a year ago I had valve body replaced at Benz dealer. And after this started I had my local mechanic do a service on tranny. Filter and fluid and he says it is still doing it.
Can anyone help or went through this thanks in advance

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,878 Posts
If there is a mechanical problem with the transmission, it will usually go into a "limp" mode; it will remain in a low gear, and your engine rpm will be limited; but you can still get off the road or to somewhere to get help.

While I do not know for sure, given your inability to move, I suspect something electrical (or electronic) - such as a problem communicating with the shift buttons, or with the TCU. Have you had the electrical plug to the tranny checked for fluid? That's a quick check. Other than that, it needs STAR diagnosis, or you could wind up throwing unnecessary parts and money at the problem.

If it turns out to be the TCU, repairing it is much less expensive than replacement. See Component Level Repair of Mercedes Electronics

·
Outstanding Contributor
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,813 Posts
Terry, assuming your post is a question? If so, it could very well be low on fluid. If it were me, I would have a qualified transmission mechanic look into it as the fluid check is not something easily done with a dipstick (there is none).

·
Registered
2008 S550
20 Posts
I have the same problem with my s550 2008 code came back to the conductor plate which the dealer will not sell over counter have to have them put ot in the cost of plate they told me was 450 plus 200 hr

·
Registered
1997 C280
131 Posts
I had a similar problem. Turns out I had a minor transmission fluid leak from the tranny cooler line to radiator connector. One day it was just enough fluid leaked to start causing the car to slip when going uphill. Sent the car to the mechanic, told him to fix the leak, change the tranny fluid and filter and no problem ever since. Unfortunately with this car, tranny fluid is pumped through the drain plug which has a short straw attached inside. This way you get the exact amount of fluid in the tranny when removing the pump hose and excess fluid drains out. It's not easy to fill.

I had similar slipping experience with other non-MB auto tranny cars. Leak enough fluid and the cars does not want to move. Pour in a half a quart of tranny fluid, and it is good to go again till it leaks out again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts