·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all long time w124 owner here
(1993 400e)

I have an opportunity to add a w221 to the garage for a really good price

However it has some issues!

It is at a mechanics shop right now(not my mechanic) and here are the issues he describes
Btw he is not a Mercedes tech just a regular mechanic shop with good reputation.

1. Navigation screen is not working
Diagnosement = fuse, OR nav screen itself,
OR wiring harness damage

Now remember, I do not own the car so I'm not authorizing any work.
The owner is in a financial position and has no money to fix , which is one of the reasons for sale

2. Driver seat stuck in full forward position!
This is going to be a problem for me as I am 6'2 and need to be able to drive the car home! Lol
Diagnosed = seat switch.

But on my research this could be more than just the switch or is that most likely the culprit?
It goes forward fine, but when the mechanic moved it forward it would not go back...at all..so it's not getting stuck on debris. Just more than likely not delivering power to the go backward position.

***any tricks or tips to get this to be driveable in the interm would be greatly appreciated ***

3. The A.C. does not work.
Diagnosis = bad compressor.
Notes system is full of freon but compressor does not kick on

4. Driver side window does not engage up or down, but apparently motor works when applied direct power
Diagnosis = window switch

And those are the only issues.
He said mechanically everything else is very sound.

He did recommend getting a transmission flush as well .

Car has 126k miles on her.

I would appreciate any insight and advice and I hope to soon be moving up in the MB world!
I've had the 1993 400e w124 since 1999!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also should I be concerned with the idler gear issue I read about?

Is there a way to check and see any history or I'd this car is susceptible from the vin #?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
273 clean point as of engine # 30 088611. Post VIN if you want a copy of build sheet inclusive of engine #.

Here is the vin #
I'm not sure what the ckean point engine 30 represents. Plesse excuse my ignorance on that lol

Vin= WDDNG71X57A097776

·
Registered
133 Posts
You really need a Star system to diagnose this car. Your issue number 4, window not going up or down, can be corrected by updating the software for that door. I know this because I've had the window problem and I corrected it by updating the software for the control module(this will probably also fix the problem with the seat).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really need a Star system to diagnose this car. Your issue number 4, window not going up or down, can be corrected by updating the software for that door. I know this because I've had the window problem and I corrected it by updating the software for the control module(this will probably also fix the problem with the seat).
That sounds like a good idea but remember I dont own the car quite yet haha.

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me temp fix the seat issue just so I can drive it!

I'm also wondering since I do most of my own mechanical work if getting the star tools myself is a good idea.
Or if anyone in Tampa Fl area has it because I live in that area.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,783 Posts
I was hoping someone here might be able to help me temp fix the seat issue just so I can drive it!

I'm also wondering since I do most of my own mechanical work if getting the star tools myself is a good idea.
Or if anyone in Tampa Fl area has it because I live in that area.
- Seat ... try holding one of the memory buttons as they are likely all set to different settings. I've used this trick in the past when the contacts of the switch are shot, but the car will allow movement to achieve a memory setting.

- Star Diag, this car will be quite challenging for a DIY'er without the Star Diags. Not impossible, but your self reliance to diagnose/repair will be diminished considerably.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
- Seat ... try holding one of the memory buttons as they are likely all set to different settings. I've used this trick in the past when the contacts of the switch are shot, but the car will allow movement to achieve a memory setting.

- Star Diag, this car will be quite challenging for a DIY'er without the Star Diags. Not impossible, but your self reliance to diagnose/repair will be diminished considerably.
I asked the mechanic if the memory button worked he said that only movement of the bottom seat was forward.

The mechanic btw and car are 4 hours from me so that is another factor making things difficult and why I have to drive the car back instead of just having it towed.

I will try when I get there to hold in the memory button and see if we get lucky and I am open to any other ideas also since I cant drive it if I'm being pressed into the dashboard lol
Perhaps jump it with power to the harness?

Also I was looking at picking up the star diagnostic setup looks to be around 400$ on Ebay if I saw correctly.
But that will only help future issues.

Issue #1 is that seat!

And if the navigation screen is just a fuse I could quickly check if anyone knows that location and fuse # would be a big help!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts
Hello all long time w124 owner here
(1993 400e)

I have an opportunity to add a w221 to the garage for a really good price

However it has some issues!

It is at a mechanics shop right now(not my mechanic) and here are the issues he describes
Btw he is not a Mercedes tech just a regular mechanic shop with good reputation.

1. Navigation screen is not working
Diagnosement = fuse, OR nav screen itself,
OR wiring harness damage

Now remember, I do not own the car so I'm not authorizing any work.
The owner is in a financial position and has no money to fix , which is one of the reasons for sale

2. Driver seat stuck in full forward position!
This is going to be a problem for me as I am 6'2 and need to be able to drive the car home! Lol
Diagnosed = seat switch.

But on my research this could be more than just the switch or is that most likely the culprit?
It goes forward fine, but when the mechanic moved it forward it would not go back...at all..so it's not getting stuck on debris. Just more than likely not delivering power to the go backward position.

***any tricks or tips to get this to be driveable in the interm would be greatly appreciated ***

3. The A.C. does not work.
Diagnosis = bad compressor.
Notes system is full of freon but compressor does not kick on

4. Driver side window does not engage up or down, but apparently motor works when applied direct power
Diagnosis = window switch

And those are the only issues.
He said mechanically everything else is very sound.

He did recommend getting a transmission flush as well .

Car has 126k miles on her.

I would appreciate any insight and advice and I hope to soon be moving up in the MB world!
I've had the 1993 400e w124 since 1999!
Welcome to our forum! First, konigstiger's post 9 attachment is your vehicle data card, describing your car's equipment. It worked for me. Be sure you have an up-to-date version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat to open it.

1. Nav screen: There is also an on/off switch for COMAND, on the center console. Button 6 in the photo below (top right button) - hard to find sometimes because all its label says is "ON," and doesn't say what it is for! Give it a try.

2. Before doing anything else to the seats, the advice to run the seat to its stops by holding the switches in each position for 10 seconds is good - it might work if the problem is in the Hall's Effect generators that determine seat position by counting revolutions of the motor. That procedure resets them. Beyond that, the combination of driver seat and window both inop suggests a door control module needing either replacement or re-programming. For the seat you might try having the mechanic apply direct power from a 12v battery to the seat motor leads (or to the switch contacts) at least to move it back so you can get it home. One check on the door control module/switch issue is whether the seat will go up or down. DCM failure usually results in multiple problems, and you are reporting multiple problems. ALSO: My fuse diagram will differ from yours, since our battery configurations are quite different (you will have a small starter battery in the engine compartment and a larger "consumer" (for electronics) battery in the trunk; my car has only the larger battery in the engine compartment). But importantly, my diagram shows four fuses for the front seats (70, 80, 92 and 102) - your fuse numbers may differ, but it is likely you will have as many. I hope your mechanic has found your fuse diagram; it is often wrapped around a tool in the spare tire compartment, or perhaps it has been inserted into your owner manual package. If not, see https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/2094849-relay-chart.html

3. If a compressor has tripped off because of low coolant, aftter being refilled it will not come back on until it is reset by STAR/DAS (Mercedes diagnostics equipment). With luck, it may not be a bad compressor.

4. Window: Again, the switch, or the door control module needing replacement or reprogramming.

5. I am not familiar enough with STAR/DAS to run it (but the W220 forum has a LOT of wonderful info on it if you want to learn). However, I'm in Tampa and I STRONGLY urge you to check out Mercedes Benz of Wesley Chapel for service. Their service department is marvelous, much better than the other Tampa dealership alternative (I have a list of tales to relate about them). For my experience with MB of Wesley Chapel, see posts 20 and 44 at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/u-s-south/1469327-fl-tampa-5.html - If you use them, you are far better off NOT to use I-75 North exiting at SR 56. Huge backups. Get there from the south by using Bruce B. Downs to 56, and turn left. While on the topic, for critical work before driving home, you might see Florida shops recommended by members at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/u-s-south/ - don't know where you're picking your car up (4 hrs - Jacksonville? Miami?), but it could be helpful to do the critical stuff to let you drive safely.

6. You can download an electronic copy of your owner's manual from https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/owners_manuals and peruse it before you have to drive. Using DropBox, I put a copy of my manual on my cell phone, so I always have it when necessary (and don't want to make a trip to the trunk for the printed set).

7. In the blue backgrounded area toward the top of the first W221 forum page are 4 "Stickies" (you will always find them there) labeled DIY & FAQ. In them are linss that we believe most owners will find helpful at one time or another. Together they serve more or less as our "W221 encyclopedia."

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For my experience with MB of Wesley don't know where you're picking your car up (4 hrs - Jacksonville? Miami?), but it could be helpful to do the critical stuff to let you drive safely.."
Bro thanks so much for all that helpful info!
I'm actually north of Tampa also in Hudson so wesley chapel isnt to far for me.
The car yes is in Miami, so getting the seat done at least would be the most helpful!

I can live without the window and navigation for the moment until I get it home.
He said the radio still works lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so this mechanic has a star computer reader
And he said the switch is bad for sure because when he played with it rapidly it made the seat go back.

So I had him replace the compressor and that works..

BUT it won't allow the freon to fully charge!

The diagnostic us saying a valve is going open/closed and wint allow the freon in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A friends cls500 had this same issue

For him, It was a sensor for climate that tells the temp inside the car

This car doesn't have that though

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On his MB diagnosis laptop it came back with this issue when he rac the AC check

Y19/1 high volt battery coolant system off valve

Has anyone ever heard or had experience with this?
Pic attached of laptop screen

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the pressure switch correct?

What is its location?

Surely its not up by the dash where this picture is?

I can't see it anywhere on the lines

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Certain compressor was installed correctly however, read attached bulletin. Images show location of interior temperature switch (part # 2218300672) and valve (2308300084).
Thank you for that info

Could this also happen due to command screen being out?

The mechanic said there is a valve on the compressor that is regulated by the computer telling the needle inside what to do

He said fix the screen and go from there.

In regards to the screen, fuses seem to be ok.
I found 1 under rear arm rest and 1 in the driver side door area both were ok

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
You mentioned mechanic has MB STAR a simple quick text will identify all fault codes, from there use diagnostic tools in STAR to defectively diagnose each problem one by one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 67 Posts