Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
SL55 ML500 SLK230 S550
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 S550 check engine light came on the other day. Took the car to the local dealer and they told me that the codes 1200 and 1208 appeared. The car has 34000 miles and two and a half weeks out of warranty. They are telling me the car needs a timing chain gear sprocket and possibly a timing chain. I could not believe my ears what I was being told. After doing further investigation I find out that MB sent out bulletins to their dealers regarding a problem as described to me. They talk about how to repair it but the dealer said if the car is out of warranty were on our own. They list the engine vin number range of all the cars affected and said the factory corrected the problem after the vin numbers listed. I'm very surprised at a solid company like MB would not recall the cars affected and correct the problem. I guess if anybody is in the market for a used S550 they should do their homework or face the possibility of being out of pocket 5K. There are a bunch of other MB models that fall in this timing chain and sprocket issue. I'm waiting to see what corporate MB is going to do for me.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
My 07 S550 check engine light came on the other day. Took the car to the local dealer and they told me that the codes 1200 and 1208 appeared. The car has 34000 miles and two and a half weeks out of warranty. They are telling me the car needs a timing chain gear sprocket and possibly a timing chain. I could not believe my ears what I was being told. After doing further investigation I find out that MB sent out bulletins to their dealers regarding a problem as described to me. They talk about how to repair it but the dealer said if the car is out of warranty were on our own. They list the engine vin number range of all the cars affected and said the factory corrected the problem after the vin numbers listed. I'm very surprised at a solid company like MB would not recall the cars affected and correct the problem. I guess if anybody is in the market for a used S550 they should do their homework or face the possibility of being out of pocket 5K. There are a bunch of other MB models that fall in this timing chain and sprocket issue. I'm waiting to see what corporate MB is going to do for me.
MB have been less than helpfull and less than truthfull on this balance shaft sproket issue. It is commonly known amongst owners now and is posted all over these forums. Some members have started, I think you call it a "class action"

·
Registered
S550, S430
88 Posts
any other major issue in W221?

eric242340,

In addition to this balance shaft sprocket issue, isn't W221 also have some issue with transmission valve? Can you please educate us on it?

are there any other major issue to look for in W221?

Thank you much in advance Eric!

·
52,804 Posts
eric242340,

In addition to this balance shaft sprocket issue, isn't W221 also have some issue with transmission valve? Can you please educate us on it?

are there any other major issue to look for in W221?

Thank you much in advance Eric!
This is not only a problem for the W221 as it is a problem with the 722.9 transmission which is fitted to many models of Benz. The valve body and the control unit fail at an early stage. They tend to fail when the car is just out of warranty.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
This is not only a problem for the W221 as it is a problem with the 722.9 transmission which is fitted to many models of Benz. The valve body and the control unit fail at an early stage. They tend to fail when the car is just out of warranty.
Is this "failure" covered by the extended warranty? What is the general cost of this fix?

·
52,804 Posts
Is this "failure" covered by the extended warranty? What is the general cost of this fix?
I am in China and I do not know your location, warranty is different in different countries. But it is an expensive repair.

·
Registered
'07 S550
27 Posts
This scares the crap out of me considering that my car is out of warranty by 6 days, has about 31K miles, and I'm talking myself out of purchasing the MB extended warranty for this car. The dealer has allowed me to purchase the extended MB warranty, but trying to talk myself out of it since the car has been reliable for me. Does anyone know if the MB extended warranty would cover this or not??

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
This scares the crap out of me considering that my car is out of warranty by 6 days, has about 31K miles, and I'm talking myself out of purchasing the MB extended warranty for this car. The dealer has allowed me to purchase the extended MB warranty, but trying to talk myself out of it since the car has been reliable for me. Does anyone know if the MB extended warranty would cover this or not??
*bump*

·
52,804 Posts
Give your local dealer a call and discuss warranty cover.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts

this is a pic of a balance shaft from a 06 ML350 I did, this car did have the ELW extended warranty, this one was worn to the nub, on the 221 the idler gear looks the same when causing the CEL

this didnt happen on all 221's, it is a select vin range that the gear was on. the new gear is made of a different material.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gentlemen: Have several questions re-the 07-550. Plannig to buy one this winter and woud like some info on these "expensive " problms up front. Anyone know the vin #s affected,and or how do you find out about recalls on these kind of problems? Thanks in advance for any info re-the 550.

Ron

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Wow, just got off the phone with Merc, I'm 8534, barely under 8611! I did not ask them anything about the issue, just for the number, it would be nice if they kind of over estimated and my number is really okay

But now as recall my check engine light going on and off, I am beginning to panic! Anyone know the est cost of this cause I am out of warranty....

Anyone know if this issue is something that is bound to happen? Or is there just a chance?

But about the check engine light, when I put my key in the running pos without the engine on and all the lights in the IC light up, I noticed there were two check engine lights, one spelled out "Check Engine" and another that just shows the yellow outline of an engine (which I am assuming is a check engine light), anyone know the difference? I have the outlined engine light for what it's worth.

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gentlemen:

I'am in the process of finding an 07 550 and would like to know the vin #'s you spoke of that lists the #' involved in this problem you spoke of with the engine..

Ron

·
52,804 Posts
Gentlemen:

I'am in the process of finding an 07 550 and would like to know the vin #'s you spoke of that lists the #' involved in this problem you spoke of with the engine..

Ron
I am not sure about the vin but engine serial numbers are as follows;

equiped with272 engine up to serial 2729 30 468993
equiped with273 engine up to serial 2739 30 088611

·
Registered
SL55 ML500 SLK230 S550
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went from bad to good to worst. Took the car to the dealer and they told me that they would fix the car and they will deal with MB corporate so they go ahead and change the timing chain sprocket. I get the car back and drive it a bit then park in my warehouse. A day later one of my guys at work told me there is a puddle under the engine of the car. Upon further investigation we concluded that the puddle is antifreeze so back to my local dealer the car goes. I receive a call one hour later from the SM and tells me that the head gaskets are leaking from the front of the engine. He explains to me that when the timing cover was removed and replaced that the timing cover seal sits under the heads and he has seen it before where the head gaskets start leaking when the timing cover seal is removed and replaced and MB will not pay to RE and RE the heads when correcting the timing chain sprocket issue. This is unbelieveable and I am loosing my patience with MB.

·
52,804 Posts
They did the repair so they should correct it at their cost, stick to your guns.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Original Owner 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet
179 Posts
Any update? Just bought a 2007 CLK550 with 18,000 miles. Warranty runs out in June. I am taking it in for some minor issues on Monday. What should I ask about to make sure any required issues like this are fixed? Someone said something about recalls. Is there a recall number I should reference?

·
Registered
SL55 ML500 SLK230 S550
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the problem I had I do not think they will do anything about it unless the check engine light comes on and codes 1200 and 1208 appear. Check to see if you fall in the engine number range for this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 S50 Balance shaft problems, Solved.

I have a 2006 s550 . about 50,000 miles and just out of warranty. Check engine light indicated a problem which was diagnosed by MB as a probable balance shaft problem. Avoided a 7-8,000 bill for repair as my dealer, Mercedes Benz of Portland, agreed to cover cost without any hesitation. Some MB dealers are not as supportive so be careful where you buy your next MB!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts