Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
R Class
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A very sad day :(
My baby, my R63 AMG with 55K miles sucked a valve last Tuesday and the warranty company gave it "last rights". Loaded, black on black 2 minor door dings. Never in an accident. Overall very good condition. Will only consider selling complete.

Located in SoCal.

Open to reasonable offers.

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.

What caused this to happen?
Will the dealer fix it under warranty??
Is it 100% stock?

·
Registered
R Class
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the exhaust valves broke, the factory warranty ends at 48K and MB will not step up, it is 100% stock and 100% of the required services were performed at the dealer.

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts
How much the new motor or re built motor cost? $30,000 plus ?

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
If what your saying is true about all required services done at the dealership then it is very irresponsible for the dealer to blow you off like that. Dealerships get goodwill money every month from MBUSA that they can use for clients such as yourself to help out with customers whether it be would be a deal where you pay parts or some kind of split between you and the dealership. I would call MBUSA and open a case, the regional rep will contact your dealership and speak with the service manager to see what is going on. You have nothing to lose by spending this extra time. Your vehicle as desirable as it is will be very hard to sell, most people don't have and extra $30k + laying around to buy a motor. Good luck

·
Registered
R Class
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your understanding of what to do (and what a reasonable person would expect) are exactly right. I have already done exactly as you described and got nowhere. When this issue and my vehicle have been disposed of I want to provide an objective chronology of this vehicle and the surprise treatment I received. I am not angry, just dazed and surprised.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Your understanding of what to do (and what a reasonable person would expect) are exactly right. I have already done exactly as you described and got nowhere. When this issue and my vehicle have been disposed of I want to provide an objective chronology of this vehicle and the surprise treatment I received. I am not angry, just dazed and surprised.
Wow, that's surprising.

If you have an extended warranty on the car; then what was their rationale for not covering the repair/engine replacement, especially if it was serviced at OE intervals to OE standards?!?!?

I would definitely elevate it further up the MBUSA corporate ladder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with all the comments so far...here is what I would do as the last resorts....3 options..one - if you want to stick it to MB on principles hire a attorney (or ask a lawyer friend) and have him draft up a letter stating your full details of the issues and such...Sounds to me that the engine serviced correctly should never have this issue...unless you drag race the car. AMG engines are race engines they just don't break under normal usage especially if you have done all the routine maintenance and have the records to back it up....I am 100% sure you will def get a good response from MB in fact they will probably fix it for you....

Second, part out the car...you will probably never sell the vehicle whole for what your asking...cause a reasonable person will rather take the money and buy a R63 that is running...

Third, rebuild the engine. not at MB but at an reputable rebuilders - there are plenty out there that will service any engine...remember its an engine and mechanically can be fixed...it will cost your 3-5 grand....but you will have a perfect engine and a warranty....Good luck and sorry that MB doesn't back up there products...especially an AMG.....:(

-Shawn

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
I am very surprised this is how the dealer wanted to handle it. It is cases like this that make people go to other products. Anyways, the 3 options the previous author wrote are excellent. I have worked at 3 different MB dealerships and as long the owner has a decent service record, they always get some kind of assistance. AMG motors/cars in general are very reliabe and have less issues then there non AMG models.

·
Registered
'88 300ce, '99 BMW M Roadster, '11 Infiniti G37, '12 MDX (replaced "lemony" R350), '95 Carrera 4
64 Posts
One of the exhaust valves broke, the factory warranty ends at 48K and MB will not step up, it is 100% stock and 100% of the required services were performed at the dealer.
That surprises me not at all. MBUSA is a bunch of idiots.

·
Registered
R Class
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In MBNA's defense, they did step up and offer to pay the $26k difference for a new AMG motor. The problem is/was that the estimate to replace the blown AMG motor was $73K broken down to $63K for a new in the crate long block, $3500 for labor installation and the rest tax. The vehicle, in excellent condition with all factory recommended service and service records is worth approximately $40K-$45K at retail. The deciding factor for me was that while Mercedes would warrant the new motor for 4 years or 48K miles, I would no longer have an extended warranty for the rest of the vehicle. A recently replaced transmission valve body cost $2300 of which I paid only the extended warranty covered $100. With the potential for catastrophic repair costs I decided to sell the vehicle as is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
73K dollars for an new AMG motor?????? are they insane??? the vehicle at cost if bought new perhaps 90 grand..its just an excuse for them not to fully back there product...its typical MB... I dont think I will buy another MB....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts