Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 ML320 CDI. I live in Canada. I just had my ML in for its scheduled "Service D" at 62000km about 2 weeks ago and they told me I needed new rear brake pads. The front ones it seems are ok. They said the inside rear pads are both almost worn out and then just today the brake wear indicator came on.

It seems quite strange that the rear brakes would wear out ahead of the front brakes, and then to have such a large difference between the inside and outside pads seems to me like it's screaming something is wrong. The service adviser just agreed it seemed odd and shrugged his shoulders... I think they need to investigate this as somethhing must be wrong with the rear callipers and it should be a warranty issue.

Does anyone know anything about this, why it might be?

·
Registered
ml350 2008
54 Posts
my 2008 ML350 was in for service two weeks ago ( 79000km) and I got similar story that my front pads were ok but back needs to be replaced. It may be result of how MB set the front to back braking ratio. I agree it's a bit strange ;this is my first vehicle of this type where the back went before the front.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have an 07 ML320 CDI. I live in Canada. I just had my ML in for its scheduled "Service D" at 62000km about 2 weeks ago and they told me I needed new rear brake pads. The front ones it seems are ok. They said the inside rear pads are both almost worn out and then just today the brake wear indicator came on.

It seems quite strange that the rear brakes would wear out ahead of the front brakes, and then to have such a large difference between the inside and outside pads seems to me like it's screaming something is wrong. The service adviser just agreed it seemed odd and shrugged his shoulders... I think they need to investigate this as somethhing must be wrong with the rear callipers and it should be a warranty issue.

Does anyone know anything about this, why it might be?
This is common on vehicles with traction control and stability systems which the computer uses the brakes to correct oversteer etc. It means your systems are doing their job according to how the vehicle is driven.
As to one pad wearing more that the other, this is usually caused by the caliper pins needing lube. When they do the brakes they either lube the caliper pins or replace them if they are pitted so the calipers can ''float'' when the brakes are released reducing this problem.If youre in an area with alot of winter road salt etc, you can imagine how the pins will be prone to corrosion. When i wash my car in the winter I always go to a place which has the under car spray to keep it as salt free as possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the same vehicle, same year, same mileage, live in the same city and have the same problem, although the wear is not uneven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts