Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has just over 120 000KM on it, after buying it I immediately had a new timing chain, aftermarket CAM intake and outlet adjuster gears and chain tensioner fitted. The cold start noise has never changed, if anyone could help me identify the cause and remedy to fix it I would by most grateful. From what I know, after fitting a new chain, the car should be good for at-least another 100 000KM.

Here is a video I made of the noise:

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,699 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad to me,,is it intrusive when you are in the car with the bonnet shut ?
If you are certain the new chain etc was fitted ,,and fitted correctly ,,and the car runs well ,,then maybe you don't have a big problem.
What kind of oil are you using ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can hear it in the car, yes, but it's not that obvious, meaning my wife does not notice it at all. My garage seems to amplify it a bit more.
It feels like the CAM gears making the noise, refurbished gears only have the new outer part.

Not sure about the oil used when serviced.

The only way to remedy this is to buy them new from Mercedes.

See the attached notice released by Mercedes I found, there is a picture of the locking mechanism.
Mine is most likely worn out. The idea is that it unlocks as oil pressure builds up, making it variable.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts