Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GL450
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 04 E320 w 96K mi - for a 07 GL450 w/70k miles. Car has navi but no phone (no p1 or P2 package). Records indicate that comand was added later to this vehicle (around 14K miles). There is just felt in center console; no cap to install a puck (Which I kept from my previous e320).

Originally my E did not have a cradle/puck either but i was able to disassemble center console and the connections were there. I installed a v3 cradle and then able to put in a puck to use bluetooth via the SOS. I do not have the cradle anymore, but I am willing to aquire another from ebay or similar.

Can I do same with GL? or does it not have wiring under the center console? Also somewhere on internet someone mentioned that if you do not have wiring there, it might be under Left rear seat. Any authentication to this claim? I don't want to rip it on my 3rd day of owning it :) if there is no wiring and OEM bluetooth is a lost cause.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Replace the whole head unit with a double-DIN its very easy to pull/replace using a connecting adapter/and put the original back in when you go to sell.

Why pay $200 for a puck and then another $200 for nav update - when for not much more you can have a whole head unit with expanded features set ?

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2007 GL450
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but I like the factory look and feel. Also it would probably be easier to add parrot or similar BT Solution. However, I am interested in the factory solution.

Has anyone here on the forum added BT in a GL without factory phone option?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Remember that the newer GL's have an updated COMAND. It has similar functionality to the one in your truck, but I believe Bluetooth is built in and there is an internal hard drive for music storage. There is also an SD card slot.

You could swap yours with the newer version.. I have seen them on eBay for $599 but you could probably get one a little bit cheaper than that if you look around and are patient.

If you have the HK sound system, I believe you need to change the amp and subwoofer also. If you don't have HK, I am pretty sure the new COMAND is pretty much plug & play.

I think the HK subwoofer is useless and have a self-powered small sub I will be installing in the car. So I am seriously looking at buying the newer amp and COMAND (I'll just leave the old sub as-is and not use it)

·
Registered
2007 GL450
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am leaning towards the same route but I read somewhere that you still need to run the microphone to the new COAMND. I guess we need to look into someone who has retrofitted the newer COMAND in an older GL.

When I retrofitted BT into my previus E320, that is same problem I ran into. I had tapped the SOS but the microphones were really crappy. Peope complained all the time that I sounded like I was in a well. Hopefully factory COMAND microphone be better. I will search ebay etc. for the microphone attachment.

Let me know how your swap goes. Can anyone who has done the swap chime in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts