Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic, "Flintgrau Metallic", Sport, P2, Leather; '78 911SC, 1.8TBeetle . . .
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our CPO E350 came with 2 keys and KeylessGo. I have used one key and it works perfectly, with the doors locking with a push of the outside button and and unlocking when I grab the outside handle and pull. The key is in my pocket the whole time. Same with starting the engine, etc. once inside the car.

The key my wife uses works when you use the buttons on the key to lock, unlock, etc., but the "proximity" function (for lack of a better word) does not. And even with the key on the car front seat it will occasionally display "key not present" or something like that on the dash display.

Batteries are fresh in both units. The owners manual warns against carrying these with a cell phone, and indeed my wife has made a practice of doing exactly that for many months, with both in the same pocket. I find it hard to understand why that would permanently affect a key, or how.

Any ideas/suggestions on what the issue might be, or how to correct it? I would prefer to avoid the "Pay MB $400 for a new key" solution -and I am sure we would just live with it as is. But the full KeylessGo functionality is very nice and it would be great to get it back.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,514 Posts
Unfortunately, if all functions are working properly with your wife’s key other than intermittent recognition the key “may” be need replacement and you have no choice but to return to MB for replacement. In addition as a matter of reference, when replacing batteries always be sure to clean battery contacts also. Replacement part # is 2117663506 - check PM.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,142 Posts
We had a lazy key and I put fresh batteries in it. All batteries are not equal. I just grabbed
a set of Energizer brand at a local store. No real improvement. So I got a set of Varta
batteries and cleaned the contacts. The key is much happier now. Proximity is not an issue now.
If you want to give the Vartas a try they are on eBay for a good price, but there is a very
strong possibility that the key is just not up to par and going with Konigstiger advice
will fix the problem without a doubt. I know it is a pricey item, but it is also nice to
have a spare which the old key can become.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Keyless GO requires really fresh batteries... measure the battery under LOAD and if it reads 2.75V or less then you will get the check battery message.

You can also swap her key batteries with yours and see if the problem is fixed, otherwise Konigstiger's advice to go to the dealer and get another key is your only alternative. If so, get the Chrome key, it will lessen the pain in the pocketbook!

:)

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic, "Flintgrau Metallic", Sport, P2, Leather; '78 911SC, 1.8TBeetle . . .
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned Contacts - Working Better!

I used a little Brakleen on a swab and gave the contacts and the new batteries a good wipedown, and - so far - the key now seems to be working fine. :) I noticed a bit of a smudge on the swab when I was done, so there may well have been something on one of the contacts or batteries that was causing just enough extra resistance (and voltage drop) to create the problem.

Laurie had reported that it worked intermittently, so maybe it is just having a good day (as opposed to being really fixed), but it would not work at all for me when I used it several times a couple days ago, and after cleaning it works consistently for me in several tries today.

Thanks for the help - this is a great forum with so much advice available. Since I just got our E about 10 months ago I haven't had the chance to return the favor as much as you long-timers. ;)

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts