Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased a MB certified 2007 E350 with 13,000 miles from a MB dealer in NY which was an employee car returned after 12 months. The third day I owned the car a clicking noise started behind the middle instrument panel around the vent area. Per the invoice they did a R/R instrument panel and lubrica TED dash board and lunricated speaker cover with H lubrication from noise kit. That noise is gone but now a noise has started on the dashboard behind the stering wheel. That noise started after they fixed the middle dash board noise. I went out with tech today and he said they will have to pull panel behind stering wheel and find out where it is rubbiing. This is frustrating since I've only owned the car for 25 days and it's been in the shop for 22 of those days. Has anyone experienced my problem and did it come back at a later date after H lubrication was applied. And I thought this only happened to American cars. Did they sell me a lemon????

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
It sounds as if the instrument cluster (IC) frame may be rubbing on the IC, felt strips will need to be installed at the bottom of the ribs of the IC frame.

Known noise areas in the 211 include the glove compartment lid, IC frame, center instrument panel speaker (centerfill), A-pillar, and center windshield – all easily resolved. If the vehicle was in the shop for 22 days, they should have performed a road test before releasing it at which time they would have discovered, and repaired, the second problem area.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't fret. I'm sure the dealer will get this squared away. Had similar problems one time with an S class. It was definitely worst when it was VERY cold outside.

Dealer got it solved.

Problem with Benz's is that they are quiet enough to hear every little squeak. My American cars are all too noisy to notice anything coming from the dash...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply guys....I noticed the IC noise while road testing for the center console noise. MB didn't hear it on their road test because it's hard to hear at low speeds. When I took it out on the highway the noise was easy to hear. Unfortunately they didn't road test it on the highway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey konigstiger... thanks for the list of known noise areas on the 211s. Can you direct me to any additional information about the A-pillar noise. I've got an '06 and it "rattles" periodically, but only on rough pavement. Interestingly, the problem is worse in warm weather than in cold.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A- Pillar noise

Hey konigstiger... thanks for the list of known noise areas on the 211s. Can you direct me to any additional information about the A-pillar noise. I've got an '06 and it "rattles" periodically, but only on rough pavement. Interestingly, the problem is worse in warm weather than in cold.

Thanks.
Benz Tex,

Are you sure it is the A-Pillar and not the passenger head rest?

I had a similar problem which I isolated to the passenger head rest, dealer tried on two occasions to correct the problem and landed up ordering me a new headrest. From reading my work order, there seems to be a few technical service bulletins on this issue. Just thought I would let you know as at first I was sure the noise was coming from the A- pillar, turned out to be the two metal bars from the head rest that go into the seat, they were vibrating over bumps periodically.

When you hear the noise, try placing your hand on the headrest, if the noise stops, it is the headrest. I have an '06 E500.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GABMAN,

Thanks for the heads up. I could swear the sound is coming from the A-Pillar, inside the front left dash area, or inside the top left part of the driver's door (I've already ruled out the top door speaker mount). But rattles like these have a way of fooling my ear.

I'll check out the headrest this afternoon and see if that might be the source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts