Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have my Cls wouldn’t crank while hot but cranks while it’s cold. The codes that came up was P0016 and P0017 (camshaft Position sensor) I change both sensors for bank 1 the code still comes up the car still does the same things. What should I do now? Does the solenoid Magnets have anything to do with that? I used after market sensors could that be the problem?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
P0016 and P0017 are not a problem with the camshaft sensors. Those two error codes are almost always a failure of the idler sprocket in the "V" of the timing chain. This is commonly called "balance shaft" failure, but since this is a V8, it doesn't have balance shaft driven by that sprocket, but it's the same sprocket that fails. Use the forum search tool and look for "balance shaft failure" and you'll find all you need to know (but probably don't want to hear!)

Now, this likely has nothing to do with the cranking problem. If the engine "cranks" but does not "fire", then the most common cause of that is the Crankshaft (NOT camshaft) position sensor. If it does not crank, then it could be a bad starter, solenoid or relay, or even a weak battery.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
OK, then it's very likely a bad CPS. You can verify by pouring cold water on it when it fails to start. It's located on the back on the engine, on the bell housing, right behind the left bank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Australia.I have a CLS 550 built October 2006.I have had the car for two years.I had a similar problem just after I purchased it.The cam shaft sensor was changed as a quick fix but ultimately we tracked problem to a faulty starter motor.This was replaced and problem disappeared.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts