Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum and our 2007 CLK550. We noticed that with the passenger front seat belt, when pulled out, it will tighten, continue to tighten until you are tightly glued in the seat. There appears to be an issue with it if it is pulled out too far or if you are seated and lean forward to pick something off the floor in front of you with the seat belt fastened. Our local MB dealership says this is "normal operation" of the passenger side front belt on a MB. They claim that it was designed specifically as a child seat restraint system. The driver side belt "does not" act at all in the same manner... which will lock if pulled on, yet when relaxed, it again slides in and out without ratcheting - tightening.

Does anyone else have this problem or is the dealership selling me a line of crap about the design of that belt tension-er?? What is your experience? Thanks for any input you might have on what I perceive to be either a problem or a nuisance to overcome.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have experienced the issue you describe before, but NOT in any Mercedes current or past. I would talk with a different person at the dealership, or simply replace the belt with one compatible from one found in a salvage yard. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem or is the dealership selling me a line of crap about the design of that belt tension-er?? What is your experience? Thanks for any input you might have on what I perceive to be either a problem or a nuisance to overcome.
There is nothing in the WIS that suggests there is any difference between the belt tensioning for the driver's and the passenger's seat. So I reckon that your dealership is telling you a porkie-pie (a lie :))

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,854 Posts
The dealer is correct. The passenger's side seatbelt locking mechanism will engage when it is fully extended. You can hear it ratchet as you let it retract. The rear seatbelts should do this, too. This is necessary to secure a child seat. I believe this may be a government requirement.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
The dealer is correct. The passenger's side seatbelt locking mechanism will engage when it is fully extended. You can hear it ratchet as you let it retract. The rear seatbelts should do this, too. This is necessary to secure a child seat. I believe this may be a government requirement.
Aah.. you could be right - but I wonder if this is a 'USA only' feature?

On WIS drawing No. AR91.40-P-0630Q, the comments in actions 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, and 6.1 make reference to US version CODE 494a for the passenger side. That could be where this confusion has arisen.

So, yes - your passenger seatbelt is probably behaving correctly - only in the US. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a 2001 Corvette that did this intentionally for both seats. They said it was a feature that you could use on the track to hold yourself in tight to the seat. Extend it all the way first & then it will ratchet tight as it is released.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,854 Posts
It is very possible that this is a US-only feature. I know it is a US requirement for holding a car seat in place. Otherwise, the car seat would just "float" around until there were enough g-forces to lock the seatbelt. It is a feature of both rear seatbelts plus the front passenger seatbelt. It's not on the driver's seatbelt, presumably because there would never be a need to put a child's car seat there. :)

BTW, I like the feature on the rear seatbelts and use it whenever I have cargo back there. Lat week, I carried a 50-inch TV in the back seat (top down, of course) and I was able to use the two back seatbelts in "lock" mode and a carbiner ring between their two latch tabs to hold it securely in place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It would appear to be the case in Canada as well. This would explain why my wife gets locked in every time I hit the gas :). The drivers belt locks up but will release if you lean back with your shoulders a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts