Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 has just had a service where the dealer changed the oil /filter and :inspected the car"
for a measly $ 550. Unbelievable!! Of course this inspection found my front brake pads were getting close
to needy replacement. How much you ask how about $750 fronts only. There needs to be an alternative to these
M/B highway robbers, Has anyone replaced front brakes lately/ and at what cost?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, if you go to a dealer, you get what you get. If you can wrench, you'll find these vehicles are pretty easy to work on, excepting some electrical issues requiring a Star Diagnostics connection.

I have no idea what prices are for a brake job. Literally have never gone to a shop for brake work. Brakes are inexpensive if you can do them yourself. See FCPeuro.com for parts prices.

If you are not mechanically inclined, see the 'Recommended Repair Shops' section for references to independent shops in your area that do quality work at better prices than dealers.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
All you need to replace front brake pads is some new pads ,,cost here in Australia is usually around $80.to $100..if you don't have a warning of brake pad wear then the sensor can be re used.
Check the pad thickness yourself just by looking at them ,, to see if they really do need replacing ..3mm is the minimum.
Videos on youtube will show you how to change pads.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My 2007 has just had a service where the dealer changed the oil /filter and :inspected the car"
for a measly $ 550. Unbelievable!! Of course this inspection found my front brake pads were getting close
to needy replacement. How much you ask how about $750 fronts only. There needs to be an alternative to these
M/B highway robbers, Has anyone replaced front brakes lately/ and at what cost?
You really got taken to the cleaners with that dealer. I would also question the need of front brakes. The stealers(dealers) love to drum up business by telling customers they need something that often they do not! If you can not check them out your self, I would find a trustworthy independent repair shop to do so. Even most tire shops could do that. If you do need pads only, you could do it yourself by watching a Utube video.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just had my 07 CLK 550 in for the same thing,oil change and NH Inspection.$135 at the indy I use,full syn Motul oil and Mann filter. I also need front brakes (and tires again !). Est was for $550 rotors and pads. Will probably have them do a brake fluid change as well.
If you want to do it yourself thats the best iif not find a good indy-I have 2 MB's and a X5,very happy with mine even thou its 40 mins away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts