Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few concerns about this C350 that I recently bought.

1) it makes a chirping sound behind the dash board. When the car warms up it makes the sound constantly, and gets louder the longer I drive it. I think there are some rusted or pulleys or something spinning that has rusted.

2) The exhaust sputters. Is that normal. Even when I'm driving the there is a put put sound coming from the back. When I put the car in neutral it still makes that sound. Is that a bad catalytic converter?

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
1) there's a service bulletin on this - many C-classes do this. it can be due to a number of loose items behind the dash rubbing up against each other. take it to the dealer -- they will fix it for free under warranty.

2) not sure what you mean, but unless there's a warning light on or your car is performing poorly, i wouldn't jump to conclusions about something being broken. it's probably just the way your car's exhaust sounds; if you're very worried, go to your dealer and ask them to let you sit inside another C350 and listen to its exhaust. there's almost no way that the cat would be "bad" on a new car, and even if it were, that's not what the symptom would be.

overall, i'd say you have a perfectly normal car with a very common dashboard squeak that your dealership will repair for free. no biggie :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a few concerns about this C350 that I recently bought.

1) it makes a chirping sound behind the dash board. When the car warms up it makes the sound constantly, and gets louder the longer I drive it. I think there are some rusted or pulleys or something spinning that has rusted.

thanks guys
I had the same issue on my 2007 C350. It was driving me nuts and I took it to a dealer in Chicago and they were clueless. I spoke to another dealer and found out that this issue was communicated through a shop foreman conference so most dealers should know about it. I found the piece of plastic that was rubbing on the clip that supports the harness from the firewall. I cut it off (the plastic flash sticking up) and the noise finally went away!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got my C350 back today. It only took them a few hours to solve the chirping sound. They said they had to install some felt behind the windshield because it was rubbing against the dashboard. I guess they took my windshield out and placed some felt to cushion it.

As for the exhaust thuddering sound, or sputtering. He said it was the EGM or emissions control ....the pump that circulates air to the charcol canister makes that sound. He said mine was relatively quiet compared to some other models. He mean't the old 300E..

IMO, thats pretty loud, you might as well buy a diesel engine...just kidding, but it is loud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) there's a service bulletin on this - many C-classes do this. it can be due to a number of loose items behind the dash rubbing up against each other. take it to the dealer -- they will fix it for free under warranty.

2) not sure what you mean, but unless there's a warning light on or your car is performing poorly, i wouldn't jump to conclusions about something being broken. it's probably just the way your car's exhaust sounds; if you're very worried, go to your dealer and ask them to let you sit inside another C350 and listen to its exhaust. there's almost no way that the cat would be "bad" on a new car, and even if it were, that's not what the symptom would be.

overall, i'd say you have a perfectly normal car with a very common dashboard squeak that your dealership will repair for free. no biggie :)

Janos,

Thanks for the comment. I guess it is normal. Its an emission control thing, that starts from the driver front side of the car, those two black hoses near the front light, and I guess it pumps air to the canister near the back right side of the car, which makes the propeller, sputtering noise.

thanks again.

mh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts