Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I just registered here after spending a few days scouring over all of the 320 related posts. I am in Germany for a few years and am seriously considering a CLK320 CDI. It was first registered in Jan/2007 so it's *likely* a 2007 model year.

Most of the discussion here is on US models but is anyone in the know regarding the European models or all they all the same?

I know about the 2006-2007 camshaft issue, but that is for the gas engines not the diesels (I think).

Anyhow, just curious about general reliability as I'll have to resell the vehicle in 3 years and it will be a pain to sell if the buyer sees 5 trips to the dealer for major warranty work. (also hoping it won't lose too much value in 3 years)

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Most of the discussion here is on US models but is anyone in the know regarding the European models or all they all the same?
They are 99% the same - apart from a few local regulations. Also some options are not applied universally.

I know about the 2006-2007 camshaft issue, but that is for the gas engines not the diesels (I think).
Yes, you are right about that. I'm not sure if the 2007 CLK 320 CDI has the latest Bluetec deisel engine. If so, there is the extra expense of the consumable AdBlue fluid to be considered....

Enjoy your stay in Europe! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
keyhole,

Thanks for the confirmation! This is the first I've heard of AdBlue fluid. I'll have to do some research on that! *edit* on reading more it appears that the adblue isn't too terribly expensive and can be refilled DIY with no need for a service visit. However, I can't seem to find any info on which vehicles require adblue. Obviously the bluetec engines, but I can't seem to find out which vehicles have those engines.

Any other issues particular to the late 2006 and on vehicles (or to the diesels)? I'm seeing quite a few posts for the 03 to 04 models but not much on the 06-08 which I'm hoping is a good sign :)

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I now realize that my reference to Bluetec in W209 CLKs was an error. It seems that MB decided not to bother with this for the W209 Class, as it was being dropped anyway.

The new diesel engine was introduced only in the S, E, R, ML and GL-Class vehicles. Well, it's not really a new engine - more a new exhaust system. More about it here:

BlueTEC Clean Diesel Cars and Vehicles | Mercedes-Benz

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Any other issues particular to the late 2006 and on vehicles (or to the diesels)? I'm seeing quite a few posts for the 03 to 04 models but not much on the 06-08 which I'm hoping is a good sign :)
It is a good sign--these cars don't give much trouble. How many miles are on the one you're considering though? Personally I really crave the CDI and the Bluetec isn't far behind. Torque monsters, yet very smooth and quiet as diesels go. See this thread for more opinions.

I think the model switch occurred in late 2006 (for the MY 2007 in most markets). In the USA, there's script on the deck lid which identifies the engine variant (no Diesel CLKs in the USA, alas). But then the CDI is an Inline 6 while the Bluetec is a V-6 so that makes it easy too.

Edit: Keyhole, we posted simultaneously--so it appears the one he's looking at has to be a CDI then huh! But I think it's a different engine FWIW, as I noted above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely a CDI. The vehicle has about 72k km (about 55k miles), which is about average for a 5 yr old car here in Germany.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts