Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
G

·
The AC and heater on our 05 CLK320 smells very bad. It smells musty like the car has water under the dash in the AC. It only smells when you first turn it on after it has been sitting, after about 2 min the smell goes goes away. Could it be AC drains or some thing?

Change your cabin filter..........IT TOO OLD !!! :D Filter is on top of the battery inside the engine bay.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you have the carbon filter by-pass switch on your center dash panel? If so, then you should also change the carbon filter... you can buy mine !!! :D

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
What does the switch look like?

So this filter will cause the awful smell? It smells like the car sat with the windows down in a junkyard for a year.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The switch is obvious... it is a push button switch with a red LED to indicate that when pushed that the air flow is passing through the charcoal filter, otherwise with the LED off the filter is by-passed.

Looks like a skinny rectangle in the Vertical position with an arrows flowing through it... ie ... -> [] ->

Do you have it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
No, I don't have that switch?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lucky you... don't need a carbon filter then... but just enjoy the smell of diesel soot in the morning! :D

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
So, I don't need any type of filter now?

BTW, did you find those manuals?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
All you need is the regular dust filter... but you have no carbon filter.

Sorry not yet... still have to go somewhere to look for it... so hang in there.

Say, on that 0.13 " feeler gage you've ordered ... that can be made up with a .012 + .001 = .013" !!! If you have the old style multiple fan-out feeler gage, that will work!

:D

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
The filter is located above the battery, correct?

The intake is .10mm and exhaust is .25mm, I couldn't find .10mm so I ordered them both from the dealer at 15.75 a piece.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes, for my year 06CLK350, it's above the battery held down by three flip latches. Go to Rojoimparts on eBay and get it for 10 bucks!!! :D

It's a little tricky getting it out of the holder and back in, but you'll figure it out!

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I took it to the dealer and they replaced the filter and cleaned everything out under the dash and the smell was gone. A week later im back to square one, it smells very bad the first min. I turn the AC on, then it goes away.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
^^They cleaned it all out a month ago and the smell came back.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
478 Posts
Wow that answear my question about my A/C stink for a min or so while I turn on the A/C. I do have the charcoal button on the A/C . Can I buy the filter from any random auto part store? Or do I have to get it from MB only?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Re: bad smell from a/c vents

I'm sure I have read that you can get a mold growing inside there, depending on the humidity in your region.

I have seen a canned aerosol product that you spray into the a/c inlets which claims to kill this bacteria. Check out your local parts store.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
do you have any idea what the product is called?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Lordy!!! This thread has taken on a life of it's own !!!

Well.. Well...!!! I am impressed to see this thread still kickin' around with good many replies and thousands of lookie-lookers!!!

To answer the smelly duckworks problem... do a search on the forums... I recall it being discuss a lot over in the E-class forums.

For sure you must change the air and cabin carbon filters (if you have it) to stop most smells. The cabin carbon (charcoal) filter is very expensive to replace and thus over looked, but it does need to be replaced.

I also recall reading something about a small coolant leak that also caused that smelly problem. So if you find your coolant level dropping slowly over a long period of time and cannot see anything on the garage floor... then it's probably leaking in your passenger compartment or there's about.

I think the sprays are just de-oderizers and a temporary fix... as the smell will come back.

If it is mold or mildew, you have to stop the leak or water buildup... check the air conditioning drip tube for proper drainage... clean or treat the mildew/mold with a strong industrial anti-fungal spray chemcial, dry everything with heat and blower fans, then hope for the best.

Good Luck... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I don't are how long the AC has been on there is never a puddle of condensation from the AC, the 79 280 always has alot of water after using the AC. Where is the drain tube, is there one? It seems like all the water is staying under the dash.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Where is the AC condensation drain tube??? Anyone knows???

Good question !!! Sorry I don't know... but might be your problem!!! Do a search on the forum for the drain tube.. I recall that they do get plug up sometimes which would cause a puddle at the bottom of the evaporator.

I also recall that was the cause of the Legionaire disease at some Hotels a long time ago...

You should start a new thread about this problem or add to the best one you find because this problem is a little off topic; and you'll probably get more responses and answers.

Good Luck finding the drain tube... :)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts